Firm serves sweet brew for de-icing roads

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Dec 8, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Smelling molasses in Boston should make anyone nervous :D

3. iGav macrumors G3

This reminds me of a feature that I saw on BBC's 'Tomorrow's World' years ago, to help solve the problem of vehicle traction on ice, a guy had fitted a system to a car that spayed a fine mist of alcohol onto each tyre from inside of the wheel arch, such was the effectiveness of this system that they demonstrated a car driving on an ice rink, with conventional tyres with no sign of loss of traction and complete steering, accelerating and braking control, quite incredible really.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Funny Boston's monicker is "Bean Town" you'd think that all the baked beans would mean anyone there would be used to the smell of molasses. :cool:

As for the product it looks promising, but I hope cities do some serious testing to figure out if the do use less of this salt to get the same job done. Here in Ontairo everyone is concerned that we use too much salt, which gets into the streams, rivers and lakes; they're worried that were killing off fresh water aquatic life that can't handle all the salt run-off. :(

5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

We are certainly going to get a good test of Magic Salt this winter season. It should be better on cars that salt. Improved safety for the environment is also a plus.

6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

This is what Counterfit was commentiing on
    http://edp.org/molasses.htm

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Eep! :eek: :eek:

From that account it seems like the tank was too weak, but it seems to me that the pressure (caused by the increased temp) was probably a factor too. Imagine, people complained about the smell from the Magic salt net weight on the ground in the area 50 pounds (just a guess)... imagine what that area in Boston was like after 2.5 million gallons of molasses came pouring in! :eek: