Firmware help on Dell optical drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ready2switch, Feb 5, 2007.

1. ready2switch macrumors 6502

Good morning all.

My husband's Inspiron E1505 has recently experienced some trouble with the optical drive. Most recently I was loading a multi-disk program onto his machine. When prompted to "insert disk 2" I would eject disk 1, replace with disk 2. The machine would spin up and stop without progressing the installation. It did this several times, sometimes on disk 2, sometimes disk 3, but was never able to complete the installation. (I finally had to copy the disks onto the network and install that way).

A friend of mine suggested that there may be a firmware update for the drive, but after a few google searches, searches on the Dell site, and searches on the Sony site (I believe it is a sony optical drive), I couldn't find anything.

I realize that it is nearly impossible for anyone to tell me exactly what's wrong over a forum, but given the scenario, do you think it is just a firmware fix or do we have a bad drive? Where should I look for a firmware update (or if I didn't find one already does it mean there likely isn't one) Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. dukeman macrumors member

Throw it out and buy an ibook :)

but really..
    I have been a dell tech for years and haven't ever seen a firmware for a "dell" branded CD Drive. I would call up dell and tell them its shot. Lie a bit or they will have you reloaded the system before too long. Tell them it doesn't open, the light doesn't turn on something they cant question. They should then send you a new drive. Or find a place selling them online and upgrade to a new one, maybe grab a DVD-RW if you don't already have one, can find it for ~$100 which to me beats talking Indian garble for 2-3 hrs.