Firmware Upgrade on G3 iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kiwi_the_iwik, Mar 26, 2004.

1. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I've a friend with a bit of a problem...

He didn't read the "fine print" when upgrading to OSX from OS9, and failed to install the required firmware update.

NOW, he's stuck with a dead computer, where all he gets is a blinking folder at startup (a CD won't boot the machine, either...).

I've offered to help, and removed his hard drive (which is STILL sitting on my desk, over 6 months later!!!). I had an IDEA on how I should approach the problem a while back, but I want to know if I've missed out a step. Here's the plan of action:

I've got a Cube, so therefore, I have to remove my DVD drive and connect up HIS hard drive in SLAVE mode - then ZERO SECTOR erase his drive (I've already connected his drive this way to retrieve all his data files, etc...), and repair any screwed up portions.

After this, I'll re-install OS9 on HIS drive, using HIS OS Install disks.

THEN, I'll download the REQUIRED firmware update software, and place it in the "Startup Items" folder. With that, I SHOULD theoretically be able to update the firmware after re-installing the hard disk in the iMac and booting it up.

Am I wrong, here?!?

Anyone ELSE have an option? I don't REALLY want to pull apart the Cube unneccessarily (My baby...!)

:)

Cheers, folks...

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I'd say you're on the right track. just be careful. firmware patches have to be dealt with in a very careful way. if a mac loses power in the middle of a firmware update say bye to your logic board.