First 17'' MacBooks Arriving

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 10, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple customers started getting word of their 17" MacBook Pros finally shipping late last week. The first shipments are arriving. This photo set shows unpacking of the 17" MacBook Pro as well as side-by-side comparisons with the 17" PowerBook. Another set with unpacking and comparison shots.

The first recipients have been posting their first impressions of the 17" MacBook Pro on Apple's Discussion board. Meanwhile, MacRumors users have also posted their initial impressions on our forums:

- 17" MBP in hand
    - Quick 17" MBP review
    - 17" MBP First Impressions (DOA Screen Issue)

While a 17" screen on a laptop may still seem luxurious, Maccentral reports from E3 that 19" laptops are a growing trend.

2. macrumors 68040

MattG

Oooh pretty :)

I'd never buy one, but they are beautiful machines. Can't wait to get my 15" :)

3. Editor emeritus

longofest

okay... 17" was pushing it, but 19"??? That is crazy talk for a laptop. You gotta be about 400+ pounds for a 19" computer to be a true "laptop"

4. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

wasn't it just so recently that the 17" laptops were referred to as "lapzilla" computers?

19".....call me Tokyo, but I don't have the lap space for that.

5. macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Ha! You might as well carry around a 20" iMac in a suitcase.

6. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

17", 19", bah.

Bring on the 30". That's what I want. Your screen size is, after all, a reflection of your manliness.

7. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Or lack thereof... :p ;)

Great news, I'm eager to hear the first reviews on these things. Hopefully these machines won't be plagued with the initial problems many of the 15" MacBooks encountered.

As for a 19" laptop, yeah, you might as well just lug your 20" iMac around. To me that's starting to defeat the purpose of having a portable computer. :cool:

8. macrumors newbie

Brad Raple

When I was complaining about the heat of my MBP15, the Apple Tech about snorted coffee from his nose when I had the audacity to refer to it as a "laptop." He told me Apple hasn't made a computer that was designed to be used on your lap since the first Titanium Powerbooks. :mad:

Whatever. I've had at least 6 Apple "Portables" and didn't have any problems putting THEM on my lap.

9. macrumors member

I mean 17" is a little to big for me but 19"!? :eek:

10. macrumors 6502

iHeartTheApple

This is great! :D I'm really excited to see how people like the new 17"er. I guess I didn't realize that it is slightly deeper to account for the addition of the iSight. As for the 19" laptop...I *love* the size of my 17"PB, but I think 19" is big even for me! :eek: We'll see if it really catches on...

11. macrumors newbie

Why is the 17" Macbook cheaper than the 15"....?

When you configure both with the 2.16ghz core duo and the 100 gig 7200rpm drive? isn't that insane? Paying 100$ more and getting much less (smaller screen, slower cpu, no firewire 800, and 4x vs 8x dual layer on the 17"). I wonder if price drops are in store for the 15" soon?

12. macrumors 6502a

yeah, when apple wow'd the world with the first 17 incher, it was pretty awesome as a powerful and usable (screen real-estate) computer that was still portable. But 19 inches.. kinda like a ford excursion... somebody'll be stupid enough to see the few benefits of such enormity as bigger than all the drawbacks. ick.

13. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

The price of the 17incher really is tempting, if your not very mobile and move your laptop once a day (work to home and back) then 17inches isnt that to bad! When i started with the mac someone online said that he always wanted bigger screens, then I didnt agree, now ive become so use to running a dozen apps at the same time that screen real-estate is starting sound more and more alluring!

14. macrumors member

I am very sorry to post this here but I cannot really find an appropriate place. But... Where did the omnigroup go??? I need a copy of omnigraffle and I cannot even find the company itself. Did they go under? is there anyone who is picking up development of their awesome software?

15. macrumors newbie

Don't worry...

Their website is just down I think...I just downloaded omnigraffle earlier today...maybe try again in a few hours, or in the morning? I'm sure their network ops person is being woken up as we speak :)

16. macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I think their site is down right now. I bought Graffle Pro couple weeks ago so I they should still be around:)

17. sjl
    macrumors 6502

sjl

I find myself wondering if Apple has gone overboard on the thermal goop on these as well ...

18. macrumors newbie

tiramisu

any probs?

does the new mb pro 17" works well, no probs like the 15"? ;-)

in topic of the new duo core 2 (arrival july/august):
    will apple use this new chip very quickly or do the need a long time to modify the mainboard?

19. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

Don't think they've gone anywhere - I bought a copy of Omnigraffle yesterday, although their site does seem to be down at the moment (http://www.omnigroup.com)

20. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Im sorry this is obligatory

[​IMG]

21. macrumors regular

Already in Apple Stores

We got these in at the Mall of America store on Tuesday of this week.

22. macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

LOL, sweet! Just imagine the cool stuff they could put into a laptop like that, dual firewire 800, raid 5, eSata... but then with a thing like that I wont need a gym membership would I! :p

23. (L)
    macrumors 6502

Lol...all this says is that people will buy expensive, unwieldy "laptops" if they want semi-portability. 17" is a monster. 19" won't fit in normal bags/briefcases. That's really getting absurd. But then, some people want collapsible desktops.

24. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

You could break dance on that thing! I smell DDR function...

But really tho, a 19" "portable" beast!? It would be no guessing on what you are looking at seeing as how everyone and their dog could see your screen. Gah I can't even imagine....

25. macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Where do I get one from?? I wan't it, and I want it now! :D