Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0RJ1LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-air-22ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i7?afid=p231|camref:ikJ9&cid=AOS-US-AFF-PHG

Been keeping an eye on the 2015 MBA refurb and just saw this model available. It is a savings of $220 over a brand new one. Is that really worth it? I have bought 2 refurbs now from Apple and both were near new or indistinguishable from new.

How do you mean worth it, Uliman? As in there should be more of a discount? I'm in the midst of the same decision you are, though I am waiting for an 11 inch.

Uliman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
How do you mean worth it, Uliman? As in there should be more of a discount? I'm in the midst of the same decision you are, though I am waiting for an 11 inch.

I suppose that is in essence what I am griping about. It is approx a 15% savings; just does not seem that much for a refurbished item. But guess what? these will sell like hot cakes; probably the last MBA version if you believe all of the discussion on this forum.

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
I suppose that is in essence what I am griping about. It is approx a 15% savings; just does not seem that much for a refurbished item. But guess what? these will sell like hot cakes; probably the last MBA version if you believe all of the discussion on this forum.

Well, I have clearly had too much time on my hands, because I've done a somewhat intense survey of the pricing of Macbook Airs (11s) in the refurb store. Typically, when the first refurbs come out, 15% seems to be the basic discount. Once the model has been in the refurb store for a number of months (and the model is starting to look like it will get a refresh), then models start to show more of a discount, 20% or more. In the model I've been eyeing, I don't think there's been more than 23% (and this is a 2013 model, which granted, is a fantastic machine).

So, the question is, how much longer do I want to wait, and is the x dollar differential between 15 and maybe 25% worth that wait and uncertainty. As you note, this may be the last Macbook Air anyway; which means in 6 months it could be another 150 bucks or so cheaper.

Yes, I think too much about these things!! Thank goodness I am hiding behind an avatar!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.