first 3D LCD Notebook is out

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by teabgs, Nov 29, 2003.

1. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

"It's not every day—or every year, for that matter—that a new screen technology appears. So the debut of the Sharp Actius RD3D notebook ($3,299 direct) is news. It's the first U.S. product to use the company's proprietary 3-D LCD technology, which displays realistic-looking three-dimensional images without the need for special glasses. Best of all, the technology has no effect on the quality of 2-D text and graphic images.

To render 3-D images, the system uses two 15-inch LCD panels that sandwich a parallax barrier (parallax refers to the difference between what your left and right eyes see, which the brain interprets as 3-D). The front panel is a standard Sharp 15-inch XGA (1,024-by-768) color display. In 2-D mode, only this panel is active. "

link

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

that's pretty cool. But for now, the price is way too high and that front screen needs better resolution... but it's a first step and this technology will only get better and cheaper.

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I always thought that looking at a 'fake-3D' monitor for long periods of time would make you dizzy. Of course, I've never seen this in action, so it might be the coolest thing ever. Only time will tell.

P-Worm

4. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

certainly a great 'toy' for anybody who needs to present/sell 3D objects (architects, designers...). And gaming if it is supported, guess you still need some funky drivers to make that work, though.
    I wonder about the dizziness, too. And how it looks in a mixed 2D/3D environment, for example working in a 3D application.

5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Can't wait for software to catch up with this technology... so I can export from maya to take advantage of this.. using percieved depth in applications and webpages... imagine, MacRumors in 3d..

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It already is...here

7. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

...hehe, now if only I could combine those two images I am seeing into one stereoscopic view...use the force Luke...hic...:D

8. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

which page?

9. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

10. tdewey macrumors regular

Real 3d

I've been underwhelmed with this type of 3d tech ever since I stumbled across this:

http://www.actuality-systems.com

Actual holographic 3d rendering a la Star Wars.
    PC and Linux interface but no MacOS interface :(