First 64 bit processor/desktop computer was'nt Mac?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macintel, May 3, 2004.

1. Macintel macrumors newbie

Apr 22, 2004
  2. IrishGold macrumors member

May 1, 2004
    People will argue the point that it was a "workstation" and not a "desktop"
    But no, Apple wasn't first.
  3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    it was marketing. There are loads of 64 bit computers out there. Apple said it was the first desktop machine, whcih by its definition excludes workstations. No scandle here, just marketing double speak.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The first mainstream 64-bit desktop machine.

Apple kept saying first PC class machine, then turned around and compared it to workstations and servers.

Though you can say the workstation and servers were the first 64-bit machines to grace the desktop, and the price of those 64-bit machines probably was quite competitive with the PowerMac when it showed up.
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I remember there used to be a lot of hype and speculation about the Alpha leading to a desktop processor that would change the world. And also there was something called Taligent or something like that, wasn't there, that was an operating system that was supposed to run Mac, Win and OS/2 binaries and basically end the OS war as we knew it? :)

I think Apple can at least safely claim to have made the first *cute* computer with a 64 bit processor. Of course, aside from Sony and Apple, not too many people make cute 32s either. :D
  6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    Is a MAC-G5 anything like a MAC10?

Oh, we're talking about the Mac G5?
  7. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    MAC is an acronym describing the unique address of a computer's ethernet isn't it?
  8. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Apple really needs to have some software that actually uses the 64 bit processor. To encourage developers to have 3rd party software to use this new 64 bit. It this would occur would that be a first?
  9. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Like what....iGene? iNuclearExplosionSimulator? Not many things consumers can benifit from except maybe bigger photoshop files to play with... thats why theres G5s in the powermacs. TBO whats great about G5 is the faster bus, dual FPUs etc than 64 bit, though it is nice for can I have Excel64 that lets me edit 64Billion rows or what? :D