"First Aid Failed" HFS Volume needs repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WillJS, Mar 4, 2007.

1. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

When I run disk utility, I Verify and repair permissions and it works without a hitch. If I "Verify Disk" It goes maybe 95% of the progress bar, and then this pops up (see attached images).

I have no clue what this means.. the Macbook works fine.. so maybe I should just take the concept "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :D

Mainly I just want to know if this is anything to worry about, maybe it's part of a bigger problem?

It's a Macbook C2D, 80GB HD, etc.

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Try starting up from your OS X disc and doing it.

Put disc 1 in the system > boot up holding the C key > wait for dialogue to load > choose language > click utilities in the menu-bar > Disk Utility and run the repair from there.

I wouldn't suggest repairing permission from the disc.

Now, as always, is a good time to think about backup if you haven't already. That said, 99% chance its totally fine and will continue to be that way for a very long time to come.

3. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

Everything is fine with the macbook (everything works properly), so do you still suggest that? If it is a big deal, I'll create a back-up immediately and repair it.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Odds are it's nothing major...but don't take a gamble, especially if you have important data. It's better to follow iDuck's procedure after you backup and have peace of mind.

5. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

How should I go about backing up? I don't have an external HD. I don't really have anything I can't re-download.. except my music (I can store this on the home network though)

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

No documents, photos, project files? There must be something.

Backup over your home network is fine. There are some online places for free and paid. I use DVDs.

7. VortexOfPain macrumors member

I had this same error a few months back, and went through the same precautions (backup etc) - but it was an easy fix. After booting to the CD and running first aid, it fixed the error and the whole thing was uneventful. No data loss, no need to reinstall... it's good to do backups in case yours doesn't go as smoothly. But mine did, and I imagine your will be just as easy.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To the OP, some comments:

- Backup your data regularly.

- Use Disk Utilities from your install disk as some have already stated.

- In your case, I do not believe this is a serious issue with your HD. However, occasionally I have had minor issues become major ones. HDs can and do fail. And they tend to do this when you least desire it so it is always best to back up your data on a regular basis.