First Aid Failed!!!!!! Need advice!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by onthat, Apr 22, 2006.

1. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

So when I started my pbook today, it took somewhere along the lines of 5 minutes before I could access any applications...So I went to run Onyx and did the best I could do with it, restarted and just as before it drug it's feet. So I went through disk utility and ran first aid...which failed. All I'm seeing is:
    Illegal Name
    The Volume HDD needs to be repaired
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit
    Volume needs repair

What do I do now?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did you run Disk Utility off the Install DVD or after booting off the HD? If the latter, boot off the install disc and run Disk Utility from there, and then do Repair Disk (you'll notice this option is always grayed out if you're running off of the HD).

3. onthat thread starter macrumors regular

onthat

How do I go about booting off the install disc?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Put the disk in and select it from the Startup Disk preference pane.

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I believe you can also just put the CD in, restart, and hold C as it turns on.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, although, for some reason, this doesn't seem to work on every single Mac. When I upgraded my iBook to Tiger, this drove me *crazy*. :( I couldn't get any of the ways that were supposed to make the computer boot off disc work, until I did it via sys prefs. I think that's the way that's closest to 100% likely to work. But I have no idea why. :confused:

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You think that's bad? Try my PM G3! The only way I could manage to get it to boot from the Jaguar CD is with XPostFacto - holding C, selecting Startup Disk, or running the Installer from inside OS 9 all failed.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm running Tiger and holding C after restart booted just fine from the Tiger disk.

Isn't it kinda funny; you hold "C" for "CD" and they aren't even CDs anymore. (OK, not really that funny, just ironic)

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think it's Tiger. I think it was my iBook. But I don't understand what the pattern is. Most people had no problem with this, but a good handful did. And this is *booting* off a disc -- so nothing I could've changed, should've affected it! :(

10. flashronin macrumors newbie

Help please

I attempted the advice on this forum (restarting, with C depressed) - This starts the process of installing OS X again, I rode it out until it asked if I wanted to take all of my settings and put them elsewhere. To be honest, I got spooked and decided to cancel. Should I have continued, to be able to run the repair disk? If I just open the boot disk and attempt to run the disk util, I get 'You cannot open the application "Disk First Aid" because it may be damaged or incomplete.

Any ideas?

11. rockandrule macrumors 6502

I have the same problem with my PowerBook (the failure line only though). I was wondering what was up. I'll have to try this in a little.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, you went too far and missed it. When you get to the very first screen of the installation process after booting from the DVD, you should also see menus in the menu bar. One of them will let you do things besides installing, such as running Disk Utility. You must be BOOTED off the DVD though -- you cannot just put it in and run it off the disc while you're booted off the HD. The whole point is that you cannot be booted off the HD and repair it at the same time....

Try again and if you still have trouble, let us know.