First Aid Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by supergod, Nov 30, 2006.

1. supergod macrumors 6502

I just got back from picking up my repaired iMac G5 iSight. I had to get the logic board replaced by Apple but all went well and it was quick. Now I'm performing some checks on the system and I've got the message from Disk Utility "1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair"

It's been a while since I've had to use first aid at all. I remember having to boot up with the software restore disk but I can't remember exactly what to do anymore and having trouble finding the documents on the support site.

Anyone want to help me out on this and remind me what to do?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You do boot off of your restore disc.

While booted off of your DVD....

1. Disk Utility
    2. First Aid
    3. Repair Disk

3. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried rebooting into the hardware test mode, holding option key. It's not working for some reason. The mac is rebooting, the screen flashes red and then goes to a blue screen with two arrows: an arrow on the right poiting right and an arrow on the left in a circle like an upside down refresh symbol. I tried continuing to hold option and nothing happened and eventually the fans turned on full blast so I reset the comp. I also tried letting go of option when this screen comes up but to no avail.

Any ideas what's wrong?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes - do not go into Hardware Test.
    Reboot
    Hold the "C" key down and boot into the installation screen. Respond to the Language prompt if you have to, but do not go further.
    Then look in the top menus for (I think) Installer: Disk Utility that will launch Disk Utility. Select your hard drive n the left, and choose Repair Disk

5. supergod thread starter macrumors 6502