First all Wii Post!!!?

Discussion in 'Games' started by madog, Feb 23, 2007.

1. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Yeah baby! I have been messing with my [new Wii and] Wii browser lately when I noticed that no one had made a post here at MR from their Wii. I thought it was weird until I noticed that it couldn`t be done normally.
    Until, my good friends, I found out on accident!
    I found out the only things clickable were the bold, italic, and the font menu [if you click in on/near the 'f']. Well if you pull down the font menu but then click inside the main subject field the browser opens up the keyboard!

So here it is, the first MR thread made entirely from a Wii and Wiimote [i hope]!!

So here's another reason never to leave your Wii! I fricken' love this thing!

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Only that i would rather have a keyboard. At least on the PS3 browser you can use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (It also displays in 1920x1080). Typing with a wiimote is about as useless and tedious as typing with a mobile phone.

The web browser isnt too new, maybe a month old or more by now.

Ed

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have to say I find the Wii browser pretty much useless. The resolution is WAY TOO LOW! Text input using the Wiimote is slow. To be honest I don't understand the point of the Wii Web Browser at all, sure if the Wii could output at a decent resolution and if I could use a keyboard I might think differently.

But um yeah WOO HOO for you posting from your Wii... I guess?!!?!!?!

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

5. madog thread starter macrumors 65816

madog

To each his own!

I've dealt with slower connection speeds and older/crummier technologies before and to be honest, I must say I'm pretty quick with this Wiimote.

Either way a keyboard is better but it's the small things that make me happy!

6. Agilus macrumors regular

I beat you to it by a couple of weeks, and I wouldn't doubt that someone beat me. :) It's in my recent post history [on 1-31].

I think it's funny how much fanboys (all of them, no matter which or how many different consoles they own) slag on any feature on another console. I prefer a computer browser over a console browser any day, sure. However, I thought the Wii browser worked just fine. Typing was slower than a keyboard, but I think it's better than on a cell phone. And I admit that I've had some fun with the different Wii-specific portals and Flash games. It wasn't as fun as playing Zelda, but few things are. :) Also, the resolution isn't a problem, because you can zoom. That said, it's not the perfect browser (figuring out how to post here was a small challenge, etc.)

Anyway, I admit that I'm a Nintendo fanboy. Have been since the days of the NES, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I was a little defensive about it back when I was worried Microsoft would come in and crush the industry (and my favorite games maker) with their piles of cash and monopolistic and win-by-attrition strategies. However, I'm no longer concerned that the industry's going to get gobbled up, so I don't slag my non-favorite consoles for their every little feature. Heck, I might even buy some of them one of these days. :p

Try to be positive a little more, people. There's too many negative Nancies around here. You know who you are. :)

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah so have I, but that was last century! ;)

8. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I'm not a big fan of the Wii browser either, especially if they plan on charging for it, not worth it at all. The resolution is horrible, typing is a chore, it's slow and it crashes almost every time I use it.

But for free, it's good to play flash games with using the Wiimote.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Fullscreen youtube vids in the living room at no extra cost with no exta accessories required = victory.
    Went through YouTube watching the TinTin Middlesborough redubs :D

For free I can't fault it. If I had to pay the 500 or so points it will go for in June (if you don't download it before then that is) then I probably would skip it.

10. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Tell you what is useful - the message system.

Carolines phone has a crappy battery so I'll send a message to her Wii telling her to ring or whatever. First thing you notice when you enter her house when it's dark is the soft blue glow of the Wii.

Course this is just my situation and with the position of the Wii etcetcETC.

12. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I use the Wii browser all the time when my girlfriend is hogging my computer...I don't think the onscreen interface too slow at all. Also, I don't really like being bent over my coffee table for a keyboard and mouse anyway. If they decide to charge for the full version I would probably get it as long as it is under 1000 Wii points, especially if they added a few more codecs (newer flash, quicktime, windows media etc.) A laptop is best but still if I have a laptop in front of the TV, then I never pay attention to the TV...

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I do not like the Wii browser at all. I think it sucks...so much that I don't touch it. I'm glad I got to experience it first before I chuck out the money to pay for it...I would of been pissed.

Give me the big bad E anyday over this..

Bless

14. nitynate macrumors 6502a

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, it's how it communicates with controllers.

16. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'm not sure (and will not bother looking) but someone posted from in a thread when Opera was first released (could possibly be in the Opera release thread...)

17. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

'Fraid not, brother. There have been many folks that have posted from their Wii, including myself.

But I agree, it is a nice little browser for free. As jimmi stated, it's great for YouTube and Google videos, as well as a quick IMDB reference when watching a movie and you can't place an actor. :)

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My brother seems to like using it for Gamefaqs help.

Strange. I wouldn't pay more than a NES game for it, but I don't think I'd like a Wii without it. It's a fantastic extra that didn't increase console dev time or the system price and that has turned out to be useful at times (checking Pop3 webmail, OMFG). I dont need to take my laptop when I go on holiday now, I'll be setting up Wii's in my places abroad.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I tried to make a lenghty post from it a while back too. It was horrible.

To be honest I think browsers on the consoles are just utter gimmicks. PS3 is slightly better, but it's still dodgy at best.

Just because they could, does not mean they should.

20. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I don't know, I don't think it's a bad thing. It's not the greatest, but for free who can complain?

It is a gimmick, but that's okay with me. :)

21. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Am I missing something here? How do you watch anything in fullscreen with that big navigation bar taking up 1/4 of the display? I've checked the help section but I can't see a way to remove this, how are you getting rid of it raggedjimmi?

Also at 16:9 progressive the browser doesn't even take up all of my display, in fact it isn't even in the centre of the display. It is kind of in the centre but shifted down from the top. Is there a way to make it take up the whole screen?

If you have someway that I don't know of to address these 2 issues let me know and I'll consider the Wii browser a bit more usefull than it is at the moment.

22. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Once upon a time (pre-launch), there was speculation that you could hit "Home," back out of a game & access the browser, messaging functions, etc., then go back into the game where you left off. If they could implement this kind of multitasking, that would indeed be great for Gamefaqs searches, etc.

...all you'd need is an IV drip of nacho cheese and Homer Simpson's toilet chair, and you'd never have to get up again. :)

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Doesn't your TV have resize functions?
    On mine I just go onto the Zoom Subtitles display option and scroll up. Full screen there. on a 16:10 TV too.

24. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Of course it does, but why should I have to do that if a game or app works correctly in the first place? 16:9 480p is 16:9 480p either the game/app is that resolution or it isn't.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Boo hoo a beta of a web browser doesn't work exactly how you want it to :)
    Fullscreen here just perfect so I can't complain.