First Apple... WOOD??

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by yargyarg, Apr 17, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

My big thrill when I visited the Smithsonian was the dizzying array of early calculators and computers. I should have allowed an entire day to devote to genuflecting before such sights as the enormous Eniac, Jerry Pournelle's very own Compupro 'Zeke II' , and (of course) the almost hippy-looking creation built in Jobs' garage, with its rough, hand-tooled, wooden cabinet. The "Apple" mark is routered into a vertical plaque on a case that (sadly) hides the board, but there it sits in its hermetic case, amidst other cybernetic brethren like the Altair 8800, Babbage devices, Radio Shack's TRS-80 and the Cipher Machines of WWII.

We couldn't LIVE without our extended keyboards, flat screens and killer apps, but on a blackboard behind the Smithsonian's early Apple is the handwritten word "INCOMPARABLE", simulating some early PR showcasing the unit. It really *was* incomparable at the time. We might not be e-mailing one another screenshots illustrating our petty peeves without that humble machine.

You can see a pic faithful to the one I took if you go to: http://americanhistory.si.edu/brc/4f4.htm

It's identical right down to the funky angle brackets and drilled cable holes. This site is associated with the Smith so I first thought it was the same one that I saw, but there's a difference in the appearance of the device. Inexplicably, *this* Apple has some additional carving at the rear of the horizontal panel. If anyone's familiar with this machine, can anyone tell me what the additional inscription says?

2. macrumors 68000

topicolo

Lol. I read this thread expecting something completely different :D

3. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Here's a pic I took of it when I was there this past February....

4. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It says incompatible, not incomparable. I may be wrong, because im just judging by your picture.

5. macrumors 601

stoid

Well, there certainly is a big difference between incomparable and incompatible. Maybe that's why people think that the Mac is so incompatible, it says so at the Smithsonian! :eek:

6. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm not actually sure that the word "Incompatible" was referring to the computer itself. There was a lot of other stuff on the chalkboard. The picture I posted was cropped (no sense in showing anything else) but in the uncropped picture there are more words although the only one I can actually make out is "disk drive".

7. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I saw that Apple I it is pretty cool, I wish you could see the ancient innards, it is really amazing how far we have come.

8. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

ROTFLMAO!!!

Is that an iPod in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? :D

9. macrumors 68000

Spock

Really Far

Attached Files:

10. macrumors regular

Anyone know the specs?

Anyone know the specs?

11. macrumors 68000

jimsowden

CPU: MOS Technology 6502

CPU Speed: 1 MHz

FPU: none

Bus Speed: 1 MHz

Data Path: 8 bit

Onboard RAM: 8 kB

Maximum RAM: 32 kB

VRAM: 1 kB

Maximum Resolution: 60.05 Hz, 40x24 char

Power: 58 Watts

Introduced: April 1976

Terminated: 1977

12. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Is this where macrumors gets their ranking system?

13. macrumors 6502

If they could have a fsb that is equal to the speed of the processor back then, why cant moto get a fsb to go faster then 167 on a 1.5 ghz g4?

14. macrumors 68000

Spock

Yes it is. I would love to play with one of these. I seen one on eBay a long time ago for like $25,000

15. macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I took my son to the Science Museum in London a few weeks' back - and, lo-and-behold! To my surprise, I saw an Apple I in its wooden box. AND, the lid was off, to show the innards!

Pretty cool...

:)

16. macrumors 6502

Their is one at Apple Australia with just the guts no box. In a glass case of course:)