First Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JD92, Apr 14, 2005.

1. JD92 macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2005
    I've been using DOS and Windows for all my life and I've finally decided that I'm gonna switch to an iBook G4 (or G3) just as soon as a good deal comes up on eBay :) . I've just got a few questions before I buy.

1. I've currently got a Windows XP PC with a 512kbps ADSL connection. Is it possible to set up an iBook to wirelessly share it's connection? I know nothing about wireless stuff.

2. If when I buy an iBook it doesnt have a DVD/CD-RW combo drive in it, would it be possible to put one in?

3. What sort of spec. should I be looking for? I will mainly use it for: Getting music from a CD to my iPod, DVD playback, school work (mainly word processing and maybe a few presentations), web based e-mail (gmail), web browsing and maybe using iLife.
  2. clykins90 macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    1. I'm not sure about using the iBook for daily tasks as well as sharing a wireless connection, but I do know that a router is what you need. You connect the router to the modem and set it up on a computer and all of the computers that have wireless cards can access the internet.

2. I have no idea.

3. I think a 800mhz-1.33 ghz G4/G3 should do what you want fine. I would personally try to get a G4, it'll last you longer and it will be more speedy, especially when using the new OS's. As far as RAM goes, you want at least 512MB, that will come in handy for iLife.

One more thing, if you're planning on burning DVD's of the movies you make in iLife, you're going to need a superdrive. As far is I know, those are only available in a brand new 14". If your interested, apple occasionally has a bunch or 'reconditioned' computers. Go to and scroll all the way down to the bottom. On the right side there will be a big SAVE sticker. Click on that and you'll be able to see all of the refurbished computers.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah, the iBooks are great, I'm using one right now. :D

1. Make sure it's got an airport card installed. If not, then you can install one after but if it's not a G4 it'll have to use the original Airport card which is quite hard to find and only 802.11b (slower, but easily fast enough for ADSL).

2. You can get one put in but it's pretty expensive and I really recommend just getting an iBook that already has these features. Almost all of the G4s have a combo drive, apart from some that were specially sold to schools.

3. OK, you might have picked up from my other two responses that a G4 is probably the way to go if you can afford it. I'm running on an original 800MHz machine, doing the things you mention like iLife/internet and it copes superbly. Get at least 512Mb of RAM, maybe more. OSX loves RAM and will hungrily eat every Mb you throw at it, but it's worth it because of the very extensive multi-tasking it's capable of. If you have to get a G3, make sure it's a reasonably new one, but if possible, keep away.

Finally, it may be worthwhile waiting until the new iBooks come out so the prices drop a little but as there's no definite date as to when this will happen, maybe don't bother... It's up to you really. The iBook is the best machine in Apple's line up in terms of value IMO so enjoy, it won't let you down (fingers crossed). As is the case with everything on eBay, be careful who you buy it from etc.

In summary - an iBook G4 with at least 512Mb of RAM and an Airport Extreme card (802.11g) is ideally what you want. :)

Welcome to the fold.
  4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    DO NOT get a G3 iBook. It has a very good chance of being very problematic. I chose my words carefully on that so I didn't upset anyone- in other words; that's an understatement. When it was running it was great. Unfortunately it spent a lot of it's life in the hands of Applecare for all of the problems that have been discussed in great detail here. Go for the G4- let the G3 iBook die - the world will be a better place . ;-)
  5. JD92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2005
    Thanks for all the advice, I've been wanting a mac for a while but my dad uses a mac at work and hates it, so all our PCs have been Windows :( . I'll get one once a) They start coming on eBay with Tiger pre-installed b) when I can afford one :rolleyes:
  6. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    You can definitely do this (provided the iBook you buy has an Airport card installed). It's just a few clicks in the System Preferences. This works great for me when I'm on the road, but I wouldn't recommend it as a long-term solution for sharing your home network. For one thing the range will not be great (the iBook would have be transmitting and receiving to your remote machines), plus it'll go away if you sleep it or of course take it out of the house. Get a wireless router instead, they are dirt-cheap nowadays. I'd recommend an Apple Airport because they're very easy to administer, but any of the major brands should work, and you can get them for well under $100, probably less than $50 if you look around. For DSL you aren't going to get any advantage by paying extra for 802.11g, although most are b/g now. The only time g might be useful is if you transfer large amounts of data between the machines in your home network, but g range at top speeds is very limited.
  7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    2. Unless you're buying the special $50 off education CD-ROM iBook, which I wouldn't recommend, you CAN'T buy an iBook without a combo drive.

However, if you do, you can't replace the drive without sending it to a shop.
  8. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Agreed if I were in the market for an iBook now, it would be the G4 model. Currently have a G3 model, its a good computer in my case. The only problem tat occurred was when Jaguar was installed, destroyed the hard drive. Since hen no problem. Yes, it has an Airport card. It works great on a wireless connection.
  9. JD92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2005
    I would really like to get the G4, but :eek: WOW :eek: are they pricey, it looks like I'm gonna be saving up for a while, but I've got a lot of junk lying around doing nothing (why the hell did I buy an iPaq?) which I'll sell on eBay to get some cash. One last question:

4. How do you say it? OS X (as in XYZ) or OS 10 (as in 8 9 10)?
  10. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    It is pronounced OS "Ten"