First attempt at HDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by wisredz, Oct 8, 2006.

1. wisredz macrumors regular

Hi there! After seeing ksz's stunning Taj Mahal photos in HDR I decided to give it a try. I have been experimenting with photomatix to get some good results and this one's the first one that is acceptable. This is a composite of three shots.

Please comment on the photograph.

[​IMG]

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Nice first attempt! I don't see the need for HDR in this scene, although I could be wrong. Also the sun coming in from the right side seems to emit a strangish glow for me ... but that's just me. =)

3. wisredz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! As you said HDR was not a must but it sure did some things to improve the photo. The sky patterns are not discernable when the rest is good :D And there is always my obsession problem. I'm obsessed with HDR these days and whether HDR is good to use or not I shoot a lot with different exposures :D But I had no time today apart from 45 minutes around 13:30, which means the light was definitely not good for photography...

and you're right about the right side, but I couldn't figure out how to make it look good. Anyway, I find myself liking that part as well because it is just strange :D

Thanks again for your comment!

4. ksz macrumors 68000

I like it! There is a sense of vibrance and life that would be hard to capture without HDR. Some comments:

1. This image is filled with delicate light reflecting off the various colored trees. I would like to see the normal 0 EV exposure because I suspect the radiance is nowhere nearly as well captured in the standard exposure. HDR does a marvelous job of capturing the subtleties of light.

2. Have you tried various values of "Light Smoothing?" A value of 2 might help smooth out the right side.