First attempt at HDR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by wisredz, Oct 8, 2006.

1. wisredz macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2006
    Hi there! After seeing ksz's stunning Taj Mahal photos in HDR I decided to give it a try. I have been experimenting with photomatix to get some good results and this one's the first one that is acceptable. This is a composite of three shots.

Please comment on the photograph.

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    Nice first attempt! I don't see the need for HDR in this scene, although I could be wrong. Also the sun coming in from the right side seems to emit a strangish glow for me ... but that's just me. =)
  3. wisredz thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2006
    Thanks! As you said HDR was not a must but it sure did some things to improve the photo. The sky patterns are not discernable when the rest is good :D And there is always my obsession problem. I'm obsessed with HDR these days and whether HDR is good to use or not I shoot a lot with different exposures :D But I had no time today apart from 45 minutes around 13:30, which means the light was definitely not good for photography...

and you're right about the right side, but I couldn't figure out how to make it look good. Anyway, I find myself liking that part as well because it is just strange :D

Thanks again for your comment!
  4. ksz macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I like it! There is a sense of vibrance and life that would be hard to capture without HDR. Some comments:

1. This image is filled with delicate light reflecting off the various colored trees. I would like to see the normal 0 EV exposure because I suspect the radiance is nowhere nearly as well captured in the standard exposure. HDR does a marvelous job of capturing the subtleties of light.

2. Have you tried various values of "Light Smoothing?" A value of 2 might help smooth out the right side.