First Big Northeast Snow.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Feb 13, 2007.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So the first true snow storm is expected to hit the Northeast on Valentines Day. On top of the 10 ft that upstate New York has already had last week. I am looking forward to some snow, But I don't want the ice that is also expected.

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

same here, cool that we are finally gettin' snow, but I don't want ice. It's crazy upstate, that is so much snow. Not lookin' forward to shovelin' either, but I don't have anywhere to go so that's good.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Chicago definitely wasn't looking good when I watched their noon news.

Good luck to all of you.

Here in Floriduh, we had some mad thunderstorms that went away quickly and after the recent tornadoes, we feel pretty lucky now, I'd say.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Got the snowblower all warmed up and ready to fly.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My wife and I are currently stranded at her grandmother's house in Seattle because of the snow. Now with all the ice around D.C. we may be here another day. We're praying that isn't the case as we are anxious to get back to our select comfort bed ... not that grandma's hospitality is bad.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

We got a little, but its the biggest we have had. Turned to Freezing Rain, so hopefully it will start up again, and I'll miss school

7. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Bout an inch or so here. Our apt doesn't have a shovel, we're totally prepared for this. :mad:

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Here in northeast Ohio, it's bad. I shoveled my drive just a bit ago -- there was a 2-3" accumulation -- and my daughter told me that she and my son had just cleared the driveway an hour before.

My future son-in-law is taking a hotel room rather than drive the entire distance from downtown Cleveland.

And this is going to continue through Wednesday morning, when I'm supposed to take my mother-in-law for cataract surgery. It's going to be a mess.

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I just called off school for tomorrow here in SW NH. Nothing yet, but expecting 18-30" by Tomorrow night! finally! I think I will go skiing tomorrow!

Isn't that what Principals are supposed to do when we call school?!?!:D

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Nothing yet here in beautiful Hartford.

I'll believe it when it actually like, falls from the sky.

I feel empirical. Fine.

11. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I know this is majorly different from your situation, but do you think you could knock some sense into our school board to cancel school because here in Southern Illinois, we had quite a bit of rain (all the way from 24 hrs ago), then sleet, then about 2-3" of snow. That rain has frozen over and they haven't canceled school yet. Hopefully they will change their mind.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edit
    : Wow flyfish, did you talk to them or what because it's canceled now.

12. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Hartford? Beautiful? Where?
    Just Kidding.:D

My dad got the snow blower ready this weekend. I am so excited. No school tomorrow!!! My road is already sanded and salted. I just heard TV it should be snowing in all of CT within the hour. For where I live, they said 10-14" + sleet + freezing rain. I'll believe it when I see it. They make the biggest deal out of nothing. Then again they said "chances of snow showers" ended up in 12" of snow last year.

My mom still has summer tires on her SUV- probably not a good idea to drive it tomorrow.

thedude110, tomorrow when you're shoveling, don't get shot.

Sorry, us suburbanites of CT look down upon hartford so much. I can think of so many hartford stories to support why.

13. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Beautiful huh.;)

14. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Its starting to snow every so slightly here at 10:53 pm EST

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Its a dusting here at the moment.

16. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Google.:)

17. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

To be honest I'll watch it if its a big match and if there is nothing else on, But mainly I watch to see her.:cool:

18. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

"Classes delayed until 10:00 AM on Wednesday, February 14, 2007."
    - Washtenaw Community College, Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Gee, thanks. What a crock.

19. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

lucky people, i still had school and it was snowing all day. i live north of chicago.

normally i live like a 5 minute drive from my school. today, it took ONE HOUR to drive to school. i was late to by 30 mins but thats ok because everyone else did too. but at least at the end of the day we got early dismissal

20. iGav macrumors G3

Is that like a U.S. dusting as in a couple of feet :D or as in a UK dusting which is about 3mm??? :(

21. shecky Guest

shecky

i was looking forward to working at home today instead of going into the office.

:::::::::::: sighs ::::::::::::::::::

i am posting this from the office :(

22. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Am actually in W. Hartford, though nobody knows where that is so I always just say "I'm from Hartford." I really do think Hartford gets a bad rap -- locally and nationally. Outside of the North End, it's really not a terribly dangerous city. White flight needed to build up quite a myth around itself, I think.

I wish I were shovelling. All we have is ice. Lotsa lotsa ice. Off work today, though, so can't complain too much. :p

23. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I've actually been to Hartford and its a pretty nice city.... would rather live there than ANY suburb!

24. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I AM from the midwest originally...I have connections!:D

6-8 inches so far and the heavy stuff isn't here yet...

25. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Well you should have said West Hartford! Thats totally different. I really like W. Hartford. There are some really cool houses, cool neighborhoods, good mall access etc.

I agree that hartford does have its nice parts.

These are my good hartford stories
    1) My sisters BF goes to Trinity. He parked his car on summit street for less than 3hrs. He came back and it was broken into, the dash ripped apart, and the radio stolen
    2) My school "imports" Hartford students to create more diversity. Everyone jokes "if you go to hartford, you'll get shot". One of the hartford students little brothers got shot
    3) Three days later the brother got shot

Ridiculous.

Here we have 1" snow, 3" of sleet. Its weird.