First cell phone was a true 'brick'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CubaTBird, Apr 17, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nice

My parents used to have a phone that was connect to a pack, like in the Army. It was bigger and heavier than my mom's purse

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I still have a brick that I activate from time to time, just for fun. Gets more looks and better reception that a lot of modern phones, I'll tell you what!

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I've seen bigger ;)
    One where the battery was separate, and it had a carry handle - about the size of a breif case!

5. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

This is the first one that I ever had the experience of using . . . my Dad bought it for farm business, and it was a frightfully expensive machine. They called it 'transportable' since it came with a shoulder strap. :p

[​IMG]

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

That's it!

That's the one my parents had! God that thing was a hassle.

7. AppleAce macrumors regular

My Dad actually used to have something even older than a cell phone built into a console in his van. (No, not a CB :rolleyes: although he did have one of those in his truck) it was a radiotelephone I think?

8. vieoray macrumors regular

hehe, yep, i remember those big things. my dad had one that he carried in a bag. the battery had a separate compartment from the phone and it plugged into the cigarette lighter or something...and there was a rather large antenna that had to be suction cupped onto the hood of the car to get reception. :)

9. cubist macrumors 68020

We had a later version of that "brick". It was only around $200 when I bought it. Bell Atlantic and Contel were ripping us off horribly for intraLATA calls, whereas they were local for cell. We saved a lot of money, even back then.

I think the "bag phones" dvdh showed came before the "brick". You sometimes come across them at thrift stores for a buck or two. I think it's a good idea to get one and stick it someplace in your car trunk. In an emergency, you can use it to call 911; they have better range than the pocket digital phones.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How did those get reception, did they still use what we now know as "Cell Towers" or was there other means to transmit?

11. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

mmm.. I remember my first mobile phone, a motorola, WTH of a brick but at the time it was cool and nice, less than 1 hour battery life :( . I did like it.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't remember much about it as I was just a wee little thing, but my dad's mobile cost around $2000 and it was a Motorola. It was huge, but it didn't come with its own separate handbag. :p