First concert you've ever been to

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by SilvorX, Jan 13, 2004.

1. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

What was the first concert (of a famous/semi-famous artist/band) you've ever been to and did you enjoy it?

My first concert was The Guess Who, which was their first concert in this town in over 30 years, I was dying to see them for quite a while by then, but just my luck they ended up reuniting :), it was an excellent concert, all their famous hits such as American Woman, Share the Land, and These Eyes were performed, as well as a few Bachman Turner Overdrive tunes such as Takin' Care of Business and Let it Ride.. that was an awesome concert, didn't have the best seats but they were good enough.

2. macrumors member

My first concert was Joe Diffie, but i was only 15. Theory of a Deadman, Three Days Grace and 40 Foot Echo were my first adult concert outing. There not the Guess Who, but it was fun having my ear drums blown out.

3. Moderator emeritus

It was Run-DMC and just a few years back.

It was amazing, especially since I was probably the nearest in age to them, that everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. Rap today doesn't sound anywhere near as good to me. I even wore an Adidas shirt but it seemed like no one else but the group planned that.

4. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It would have been either The Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd. Can't remember what way round, both when I was pretty young (12 ish), went with my dad, both put on great shows, espicialy the floyds light show :eek:

5. macrumors G3

I can't remember who exactly it was, it's a toss up of 3 artists.... I'll need to think about that... and it was either '89 or '90...

I do however remember my first festival, Reading '92, I saw Nirvana, and they sucked! :eek: :eek: :(

Best festival ever?? well that's a tie between Phoenix '94, with the incredible PWEI, Senseless Things and Ned's or Glastonbury '99 with R.E.M., Underworld, Patti Smith ;) :D

6. macrumors 65816

vollspacken

hehe, my first concert was a James Galway "Flute" concert in '88 or '89 (my parents dragged my brother and me there)... HORRIBLE!!! my bro' fell asleep. it was second row, Galway saw it and had to laugh, no kidding!!!

my first "real" concert was a cheesy two-day rock festival with the Simple Minds and Tina Turner headling... I guess it was 1990 and I went there with my mum and my brother (only the first day though). the weather was terrible (=raining cats and dogs), and so was the music (I believe Chris DeBurgh was also on the line-up, but I'm not sure...)

:eek: ;) :D

jeez, I'm glad I didn't get earcancer from that one...

vSpacken

7. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Zeppelin, Knebworth, '76 was it? can't remember, bloody awful and totally mind-blowing at the same time.

I sam Rush at the Hammy Odeon in '78, A Farewell to Kings tour, saw Black Sabbath just after that.

8. macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Five Iron Frenzy.
    [​IMG]
    I got to meet the lead singer. OMGOMG...He is sooooo hot.:rolleyes:

9. macrumors G3

'76..... that's like 2 years before I even existed.... :eek:

that's when the world was a happy, happy place! heheh :p

10. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I was like, 12...

Might have been 77 at a push.:D

Benefits of being old, my young friend.

11. macrumors member

I saw the Beach Boys at the Minnesota State Fair when I was really young, probably 5 or 6. I don't remember anything except getting stung by a bee. My next show was the Rolling Stones (with Living Colour opening) Steel Wheels tour in 1989, I was 12 and that was the first time I saw people smoking pot. ;)

12. macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I saw Johnny Cash in 1982 at some state fair or amusement park--my memory is fuzzy cos I was 10 and away from home. The first show I actually chose to go to was Depeche Mode/OMD in 1988.

13. macrumors regular

My first concert...

My first concert was....
    Stuart Davis, that was in a cofee shop tho. If you are talking like a club/stadium setting, probably Metallica.(Summer Sanitarium)

14. macrumors 6502

My first concert was Joe Jackson in 1989 ( I was 14 years old at the time) It was his "Blaze of Glory" tour and he had ( for his doing) a huge band (something like 8 people). It was one of the best shows I ever saw of him. Last year I visited his "Volume 4" tour in which he played with his old band. That one was very good too.

15. macrumors 6502

But who did you go to see?

16. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Guns 'n Roses and Metallica. Longest non-festival show I'd every been. They both played around 2.5hr sets. The show didn't end until like 2 or 3 in the morning.

Lethal

17. macrumors newbie

KMFDM. Saw them in Hawaii at the long-gone, but not forgotten nightclub, The Garage. Gave Sasha a light for his cig.

Last concert -- Nine Inch Nails. Wore earplugs, saw the kids trying to do the pit thing and saw they were mostly drunk fratboys who just wanted to beat the snot out of each other and anyone who happened to wander in.

Music started sucking, for the most part, soon after that.

18. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Some people have conversations here, you know, like talking and stuff...:rolleyes:

19. macrumors regular

That would have been Iron Maiden at the Hammersmith Odeon. Couldn't tell you when - about '86 I guess.

I once did a gig at the pub they started out in. For the moment I've forgotten the name but it used to appear on their album artwork. Whilst we were soundchecking a dog went and 'did it's dirty, sinful business' under the stage. I tell you, I was glad to get off stage once the lights had heated things up!

20. macrumors 65816

Photorun

The original Woodstock with my Mom and Dad... but I was only one. (it's true) Can't hardly remember it, ironically, neither could the parents but that was probably chemical reasons.

21. macrumors member

never been

I just realized that i've never been to a concert, my plans keep on falling through. I was going to go to a gov't mule concert a few months back and in a few weeks but it did not work out. i stupidly did not ggo to the RS concert last june here in torronto. I may be going to a flecktones concert in april though.
    --------------------------------------------

22. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's a very popular band here in NZ called Nesian Mystik, and they held a free concert in my town ~6 weeks ago. It was horrible.

23. thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Re: never been

darn :(, my 2nd fave band "Big Sugar" has opened up for them many times in the past

24. macrumors member

First Concert

The first concert I went to was the Rolling Stones, at St. Louis MO in '97. I was lucky enough to have the $1400 I spent on two front row tickets. I kept making Keith Richards laugh and eventually he came down off stage during Jumping Jack Flash to give me a nod and a sort of wave by putting his fist to his heart. -No ****. You can see this on the DVD (the show was filmed). The show was also broadcast live on paperview... again, I was included in the pre-show interview with some woman from VHI. Needless to say, it was incredible. Highlight of my life.

25. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

the first concert i ever saw was Chicago at the star lake ampitheatre near pittsburgh. it was more or less ass.

the first good concert i saw was Guided by Voices on the Alien Lanes tour, circa '94.