First crash in OS X ever... Very Pleased.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coopdog, Mar 2, 2003.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    I have a G4 350. 256 ram 40 gig HD. The first time my G4 has ever crashed using OS X was last night. I have been running X the day it was released. So first crash in what 2 years? When ever it was released.

Here's what it took to crash X:

Burning a CD in toast
    Running iTunes
    Downloading 3 different movies in Safari
    IMing on AIM
    Unstuffing abunch of icon packs
    Downloading 5+ shareware files on carracho
    Coping 5 gigs to my firewire HD
    exporting a movie in iMovie

I was doing all these things then i was messing around with screensavers, I got one that plays 6 screen savers at one time, in a box, when i clicked test, it froze up. iTunes kept blasting and my 15 downloads kept going but there was no mouse and had to restart.... I think that really good considering my G4's specs! My dad's pc running XP, i have to restart or do the
    control alt delete every 30 min...
  2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm glad to see your so happy about the crash, this jsut shows hw even non-crrent macs, are very wel equipped.
  3. TMA macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2003
    Very nice! I haven't had an X crash for several months now (though I restart every 2-4 weeks usually)

I'm curious - can I ask what this screensaver is that lets you run multiple savers at once?
  4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Well that crash must of sucked your were doing all that stuff.
    Burning stuff, and downloading stuff... You would of had to continue or re-do most of that stuff. :eek:
  5. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    my first full system crash happened today while i was listening to itunes, downloading through kdx, running safari, mail, ichat, aquamon, encoding a cartoon through ffmpeg and then i opened a video through vlc...the whole system went to hell...

note to self...when encoding a video into divx, don't do anything else
  6. timbloom macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    You can tell Apple thanks for taking what coulda been 3 years down to 2 years of no crashes with 10.2.4, the weakest version in quite some time.. Feels like they didn't have enough challenges in the tech support department, so they added a few bugs to keep those guys busy.
  7. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    what do you mean weakest version. from looking at what they were doing on their computer, it was bound to crash eventually, especially with 384MB of ram. i still quite dont understand what you meant in your post, elaborate a little more.

8. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I agree with the post regarding 10.2.4 being the weakest version of OS X to date. I don't think this affects all powerbooks, but many of the ones that I have seen are not doing too well with 10.2.4. I for one have down graded to 10.2.3 for stability reasons.

Has this influenced my oppinion on Apple? Hell no! Still the best computer company around!

9. Gus macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Re: First crash in OS X ever... Very Pleased.

If I am not mistaken, OS X v. 10.0 was released on March 24, 2001. I am pretty sure that is right. I know the day and month are, but for some strange reason, I can't remember if it was 2000 or 2001. It HAD to be 2001.

10. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    that sucks. could it be system maintenance. or something during the installation. i dont know. mine seems fine. i did however have to do a fresh install of jaguar when it first came out. not an archive and install. a full erase and reformat the hard drive install. but 10.2.4 works fine. have you tried the reformat reinstall? i know it sucks, thats why i have all my documents on a seperate partition and have all my applications and system files on a 10gig partition. that way i can just copy my applications over to my documents partition. then i backup the users "application support" and "preferences" folders in the users "library" and also the "application support" in the main system "library" (this prevents me from having to reinstall the applications). anyway, you shouldnt have to reformat reinstall but it helped me when i had trouble with jaguar.

uhoh, after typing that i just realized something.

can i erase a partition while leaving the other partitions intact?

hmmm. i dont think i can. well, i still like having my docs. seperated.
  11. Noiseboy macrumors regular

Dec 25, 2002
    Lurking nearby.
    iTunes kept blasting and my 15 downloads kept going but there was no mouse and had to restart....

Did you not try force quiting the app that crashed? Cmd+opt+esc. Brilliant record though. I haven't had any problems at all in 2.4, it's been very stable. Viva OS X.
  12. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    I haven't had any problems with 10.2.4 either. Then Again, I had just recieved my machine back from apple with a new HD, that I reformated and updated before installing 9 or any extra apps. It acts like a full release rather than a patch, its wierd. It also doubled my ambient computer speed. I have friends who are having the same problems you all have been reporting, but when one of them reformated his HD for a scratch Drive and installed 10.2.4, he is now having no problems at all.