First Credit Card

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applemacdude, Feb 5, 2007.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    Well i just turned 18 recently and have been eyeing a credit card to build up my credit with. It would be nice if anyone can give me a hand in which CC are better for someone like me. I basically want it for buying things when i dont have cash on me, but would like to know which CC is the best for me.
  2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    The one that you can pay off your balance each month.
  3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2005
    Uh... don't get one. If you can't afford it now, you don't need it. I highly doubt a 18 year old will have any emergency expenses (see NOT pizza) that you wouldn't have money for already.

If you don't have the money, you don't need it. ;)
  4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I'm not sure that's what he's saying. I read it as though he wants to use it when he doesn't have the cash in his wallet, not necessarily that he can't afford what he's buying. As long as you use them responsibly, credit cards are great for building your credit, especially if you can get a rewards card. And they're more convenient than carrying around lots of cash. If you have the discipline to pay off your balance every month, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting one.

So yes, if the OP can do that, I'd recommend looking into reward or cash-back can see some of the current deals here. The companies have cut back a bit on rewards recently and you sometimes need to already have some good credit history in order to get them, but I'd check them out first.
  5. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    Perfect advice. Only get one if you plan to pay the balance off in full each month. The only good a credit card does an 18 year old is just that: Credit. You will it one day, and there aren't too many other ways someone without credit can get it - this is why you receive so many credit card offers.
  6. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    Do you have a job? If so, then consider a CC cause if you can't pay it off, building credit with bad credit is tough. I'd suggest looking for a CC that offers cash back.

I have one CC (Discover 2% CB) but its for business use only and 2 debit cards. I like Paypal's CC/Debit card cause it has cash back but acts as a debit cause its like cash and this way you won't be able to charge so much you can't pay back.
  7. VoidBoi macrumors regular

Feb 5, 2007
    I recommend a credit card with a small credit limit (mine is AU$500), and one you can pay off every month with no problems. I put money on mine at the start of every month (to raise it above the $500 limit) and use that (which is *my own* money) for everything, keeping generally at least $500 on it.

Also, in Australia, a lot of credit cards have no yearly fees if you're a student.
  8. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2006
    It's not a bad idea to have a credit card - as long as you pay off your balance and don't use it to buy things you can't really afford.

Otherwise, a credit card can be useful and is a good way to build credit - having a credit history will be useful for a car loan, a mortgage, or a student loan.
  9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I just went through this! I'm just waiting for a response from Visa.
    I applied for a student card. No cosigner needed, cash-back, a super-high APR because I have no credit. :)
    Good luck, and remember to pay it off in full each billing cycle. that 29% interest is not fun!
  10. it5five macrumors 65816

May 31, 2006
    New York
    I second this. I have this card and it is excellent. Right now I have 6 months of 0% APR, but it doesn't really matter anyway since I pay off my full balance every month anyway.

I'd either go with this Citi card, or get one through your bank.
  11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Look to see if your bank has any good CC offerings. It can make things much easier if all of your finances are all united under one firm.