first date... with a twist

Discussion in 'Community' started by QCassidy352, Sep 5, 2005.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Looking for input on where to go/what to do on a first date. The catch is that she's hurt her foot and can hardly walk right now. I'm looking for something a little more interesting than dinner and a movie, but there can't be too much walking involved (which is too bad, because I think physical activities like ice skating, hiking, etc. are great first dates).

Oh, and if you can suggest something specific to D.C., that would be even better (new here and don't know the city yet). Maybe a cool jazz club in Georgetown or something like that? Gimme whatever you got. :cool:

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, I guess that I won't be of much assistance because I prefer to go to a nice restaurant eat and then follow up with something (ie- movie). Perhaps, after eating you could take her on a night-time carriage ride through the city or a certain park (if they do that in Washington D.C.).

3. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Hire a wheelchair. ;)

OK, constructive ideas... I guess doing something at home is a bit off-limits for a first date. Are you sure she can't hobble to a bar?

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

hmmm, first date. dinner for sure, and you say she hurt her foot? don't go to a movie, i think movies suck for dates. you can't talk, and its just weird. i was gonna go to a movie with a girl today but i told her we could go swimming at her house instead.

you should do a carriage ride, that would be the way to go.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True, but some chicks dig a good romantic flick. ;)

Anyone care to third the carriage ride idea?

6. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Believe the best thing to do is to bring dinner to her place. Surprise her with a take out. Or if you're a chef, cook her something at her place! :D

I was in the D.C. area last week, and stayed at Hotel Washington. There is a beautiful view on top of the hotel (take the elevator, of course) where you both can have some desserts while looking over the whole D.C. area.

7. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Dinner first, then....

i do think a carriage ride would be great. Depending on the girl, a jazz club is always a great place to go. Being "real" is the best thing you can do on a first date, so if you love jazz, go ahead and expose her to a part of your world. Just take care that "being real" does not go wrong! :p

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good advice Eevee- should provide an evening of fun & romance. :)

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Hate to say it, but cliché it is - dinner then a movie, or maybe (to break the cliché slightly, and go somewhere more romantic) a waterfront or summat, just to sit and watch and talk. I personally see it as a lot better than any movie

10. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I love this idea, depending on if anyone is at her place but if it is just you and her, perfect date. Also she's probably not up for a big night because of her foot. Yes I know its tacky, but bring over a movie oveer as well. A comedy so you guys can just muck around and talk. Seeing that it is not a cinema no one can ssshhh you.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Watching a comedy in your own home could work well for the both of you. You both get a nice date and the comedy could help her blow off some steam (she is no doubt upset over her foot's condition). I find the movie Johnny English to be very hilarious- not so sure that it is your/her genre of movie though (but it could possibly work).

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Last time I was in Georgetown, I got thrown out of two bars and violated public urination laws. Later that evening, there was gunplay.

So watch out for Army guys in Georgetown.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Eh, I wouldn't wanna end up sobbing, red and puffy eyed on my first date w/ someone! And while that carriage ride sounds so unbelievably romantic-- it's also a bit much for a first date, I think. I'd be stoked if my bf would set that up for me now-- but we've already been together for over three years. ;)

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Three years and no carriage ride? Oi dude, get with the program here!

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Aww, thanks! I'll be sure to let him know you said that. :p

16. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Personally, I find jazz club would be a bad first date likes movies because they both prevent you from talking.

17. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Most every jazz club i have played in has had talkers in the crowd. It does not bother me as a musician, and it is not like most jazz clubs are loud places.

18. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

You live in America, ergo there must be a make-out point need where you live (all those movies can't have been lying). So take her out there, get her drunk first if need be, and the best bit is witha bust foot she can't run away!!

People are right, you can't talk in a movie but you don't want to get everything out in the first night. Why not take her to a show if movies aren't a good thing, you should be able to wrangle good seats if you can borrow a chair for her!!

19. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

ok...maybe i don't like people talking while people are playing :rolleyes:

20. iGary Guest

iGary

21. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

The danger of seeing an indy pic is that if you pic wrong you'll have 2 hours of really awkward silence - the date might never recover. I remember when i hooked up with my wife to be. the first night we got together (we'd known each other before then and she had even turned me down when i'd asked her out). We were both drunk and i was wearing a Nurse's outfit and had a pink wig on. We spent the night in a tent wearing all the clothes we possessed and cuddled up for warmth. The next night she complained that i was saying too many nice (cheesy) things to her so I started being rude instead - which confused plenty of on-lookers. On the third day i drove her home and we talked and talked, eventually we went out to eat - to McDonalds!! I carried her back up the three flights of stairs to her flat when we got back just to prove a point - not sure which point.

Not sure you'll be able to use any of those but something must have gone right in all of that because we're planning the rest of our lives together.

1..2...3.. VOMIT :D

22. iGary Guest

iGary

I was actually going to recommend Visions up the street from Rosemary's - but it is out of business! So much happens when you leave an area.

23. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

wow, a lot of very good responses. Thanks, all!

A few thoughts.

Carriage ride: Like devilot, I think it's a great idea, but maybe too much for a first date. I guess it depends on the person.

Making dinner and bringing it to her: Likewise, I love the thought of this one, but it's not possible, logistically speaking.

Movie: As some have pointed out, the fundamental problem here is that we can't talk, so in a way, we're not really spending time with each other. I have thought that a scary movie (I know she likes them) could be good though. Anyone familiar with the psychological phenomenon "misattribution of arousal?" ^^ :cool:

See, ideally, this would be something where we could talk, but also where, should the conversation lag for a minute, it wouldn't be awkward. Hence my like of casual but physical activities as I mentioned before (which are out for the time being, of course). Dinner and a movie are, interestingly, really the two sides of this same coin. The former forces near constant conversation or else it's awkward, whereas the latter allows no conversation at all. Ideally I'll find something between those extremes. :)

One other thing that I should perhaps add: we've talked quite a bit even though we've yet to actually go out, so I think we know each other a lot better than is usual on a first date. Which means that we already have things to talk about and will probably feel a bit more relaxed.

Thanks much for all of the good ideas. Please keep em coming!

p.s. the Bistro linked looks good... any particular reason you like it?

24. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

oh, and btw, I think we need the whole story here.
    :eek:

25. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, please give us the story pseudobrit.