First details of Office 2007 for Mac. All new UI.

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 17, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: 3rd Party Software
    Link: First details of Office 2007 for Mac. All new UI.
    Description:: Office 2007 for Mac will have an all-new UI that borrows from the "Ribbon" concept in Office 2007 for Windows, along with XML file formats and of course Universal Binary codebase. The bad news? It's not due for another year.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

This is huge - shouldn't it be posted on the front page?

3. macrumors 6502

Well nice to know that it is being worked on.

4. Moderator emeritus

sushi

IMHO, Office 97 for Windows and Office 98 for the Mac was the best combo. Menus were identical. Simple to go back and forth between the two.

I hope that Office 2007 for Mac and Windows shares this commonality. It makes it so much easier to use, and makes it more platform independent.

5. macrumors 604

clayj

I still don't think the Mac version of Office will be called "Office 2007". It causes too much confusion for the support folks. It's more likely that it'll be called "Office 2008" on the Mac, particularly since it'll almost be 2008 when it's released.

6. macrumors 6502

Remember, Microsoft committed to the Office 2007 name while Office 12 was still to ship in September 2006.
    Most of their stuff was named for the next year so that it did not seem "outdated" by the time it gets pushed out the door. That is why Microsoft changed their naming structure to XP and Vista because the marketing team and bankers took the lead to make sure that the next Windows 2000 would not seem so last century.

7. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

This is good news. :)

8. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wow this is nice! But...I want it now, not 2009 when it is really going to come out.
    In the end, it is MS...remember vista? Yeah me neither.

9. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I don't expect it to hit the front page until more concrete details emerge (like screenshots, for instance...). It's just too far away from hitting the shelves...

10. macrumors 65816

Definitely good news. I've actually been enjoying the Office 2007 beta for Windows, so it will be nice if some of the ideas in it to make their way to the OS X version of Office.

11. macrumors 6502

I have the Beta for Windows that Microsoft put out on their site. I think it's awful.

12. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    It makes sense in some ways that Apple hasn't told Microsoft what the UI of Leopard will be, but in other ways, as one of the largest Apple developers, it seems a bit snarky to keep them in the dark. It also seems it will delay their development of Office, as they don't want to put out a product that doesn't play nicely with Leopard's UI.

13. macrumors newbie

i just want better exchange support in entourage

14. macrumors 68000

mcarnes

3rd Q 2007! You've got to be kidding me. Lazy MS bums.

15. macrumors 6502a

I think it has to do more with having to make sure its compatible with the Windows version. That's why it ships staggered a few months after Office for Windows.

16. macrumors 6502

I think the latter part of 2007 will be too late - I for one, will probably give up and find another word app in the meantime if my productivity is suffering via Rosetta. I will switch from the MS Office suite of apps indefinitely if Apple come out with something comparable before then. (currently I've no alternative, I need to use Word with Endnote - nothing else does this yet).

17. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Hopefully MS will not screw anything up this time around. I think the refinements made from Office v.X to Office 2004 were nice touches. With an all new UI (which is not required by any means, because it probably won't get simplified) there is a huge opportunity to cause trouble. I look forward to speed and, hopefully, simplicity.

18. macrumors 65816

I keep wondering when OpenOffice / Neooffice will be good enough to that people won't have to stay in the Microsoft trap. I only use Office because I have to, I certainly don't want to. If the compatability problems with OpenOffice were resolved I'd stick with that. I do have some peeves about OpenOffice. I use the outline view in Word all the time and its missing from OpenOffice.

If Microsoft knew how to develop software they could/should have been developing the Mac version in parallel to the Windows version, not afterwards. Thereby making a simultaneous announce. But it seems that MS has forgotten how to write software. Given how many years its taken to write Vista. Helps Apple though.

19. macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

This is good news. We need a new and full quality version of Office.
    There are major issues though...
    We need it to Have in the Macintosh Version of office:
    All of the new features and abilities of Windows Version
    Be able to communicate in a workgroup.
    Upgrade version of Entourage to Match more of the address book functions and more of Outlook. it's kinda weird looking
    Get more integrated support of some of of the files and data, to be fully actionable by Mac OS 10.5
    Also, give full MSN messenger, and WMA Video files.

we need full compatibility, not handicapped!

20. macrumors 603

Multimedia

Talk About Slow Pokes

I guess Vista is more important than Mac Office. Can't believe it will take another year to make it UB. Only monkeys at work there? :rolleyes:

21. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^Well it is a big change for such a big application, and the Mac BU is quite good at what they do and is solely dedicated to Macs. Also, there aren't a lot of people who work there, and they likely do what they can.

And just be glad that the Mac version of Office is always better than the version for Microsoft. ;) That just shows you that the people at the MacBU wants the version on Apple to be good.

Of course they Microsoft knows most of the details. They probably got a version at WWDC like other developers. ;) They don't know all the cool features, but they know enough to continue to develop for it, much like every other software company. And besides, the other features offered by Apple in Leopard probably aren't relevent to what's offered in Office.

22. macrumors 68030

This is great news, but why is Microsoft so freakin' slow with everything they do?

23. macrumors 65816

yoda13

This does not surprise me at all...I figured it would take a while...not this long...but I am still not surprised...

24. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Why should they hurry? Does anyone really expect Microsoft to be prompt or good?

25. macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Office is nasty

Office:mac does not follow the Apple user interface guidelines, why should MS care what the Leopard UI is going to be like? :mad:

It is also buggy and cannot reliably share files with the Windows version with terrible examples such as pasting an Excel chart or an image into Powerpoint which looks fine on the Mac but is either distorted or completely absent on PC. :eek: In Word I am very careful to use styles and still page layout isn't reliable between platforms. To reliably share documents the only choice is OpenOffice/NeoOffice.

If MS knew the first thing about portable file formats they wouldn't have to spend forever testing the file compatibility. Most new Mac users I have converted are pretty happy with NeoOffice Aqua because it looks good, is native code, actually looks more like Office on the PC than Office:mac and has enough compatibility to MS Office without the pricetag.