Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 7 isn't expected to launch until the usual September timeframe, but we're starting to get our first hints of what we might be able to expect for the new device. According to a source who has provided reliable information in the past, the iPhone 7 body will appear very similar to the design used for the iPhone 6 and 6s, with two significant exceptions.

The first involves the rear camera, which protrudes slightly on the iPhone 6 and 6s. On the iPhone 7, the camera is said to sit flush with the rear casing, enabled by a thinner camera module. Recent rumors have indicated Apple is considering equipping the iPhone 7 Plus with a dual-lens rear camera, but the smaller iPhone 7 is expected to include a more traditional camera.

iphone_7_render_mr.jpg
Mockup of iPhone 7 case showing flush rear camera and no antenna bands across rear

The other significant change with the body of the iPhone 7 is the removal of antenna bands across the rear, allowing for a cleaner all-metal look on the back. Antenna bands at the sides and around the top and bottom edges are said to remain, however.

Our source has been unable to confirm whether the device as a whole will be thinner than the iPhone 6 and 6s, although any thickness reductions would be expected to be slight, and many users (particularly those who use their devices without cases) will likely find the flush rear camera to be a significant improvement even if other dimensions remain the same.

Article Link: First Details on iPhone 7 Design: Flush Rear Camera, No Antenna Bands Across the Back

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
Why did the render in the article remove just two of the antenna lines, and not all of them?

The other significant change with the body of the iPhone 7 is the removal of antenna bands across the rear, allowing for a cleaner all-metal look on the back. Antenna bands at the sides and around the top and bottom edges are said to remain, however.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
They should have optical image stabilization on all models. It's such a dramatic improvement in image quality over non-OIS or EIS.

I doubt they'll get the 3-4 stops of image quality improvements with dual-sensors.

Really?, Ive seen lots of side by side pics and I see no evidence to support this.

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas
I am just hoping that the 7 and 7+ don't have different camera/other components. I really love the size of my 6s, have been wanting the 6s+ for the image stabilization. I don't want to have to choose the bigger phone to get all the premium features.
Bigger is not always better! (that coming form a Texan)

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I want design that is different to the iPhone 6(s).
Not the same iPhone with a flush camera and without the antenna lines, and perhaps slightly smaller bezels.
We want a redesigned iPhone 7 that we all hate when the first pictures leak and we like when it is eventually released.
I did...
I want such an experience on the new iPhone 7. I don' t want a 6ss.

SlipperySlop

Suspended
Sep 14, 2015
I would like to see straight edges like the 5S.
No. NO. NOOO. NOOOO. Curved edges are the only way to do.

Why did the render in the article remove just two of the antenna lines, and not all of them?
People would rather spout out and embarrass themselves than actually read the article. Shame.

I've seen better photoshops been done using a potato.
Reference please. Or else this is a lie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.