First... eh... WU! :p

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Mainyehc, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Mainyehc macrumors 6502

Mainyehc

Hi guys!

I've been poking (and posting) around these forums for almost three years now, and I've finally started making some good use of my G5's spare cycles... I've just completed the first of many (I hope) WUs for F@H... under Team MacRumors, of course! ;)

w00t! :D

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Congrats! Keep it up! Check your stats here, if you care about that sort of thing:
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=3446&p=1

:)

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

wOOt indeed! great job. welcome to the fun, and just in time to help us catch that group of quiet pc folks...

4. Mainyehc thread starter macrumors 6502

Mainyehc

Yep, I care about that, and the first thing I did after realizing that F@H was taking care of a new WU was checking my stats... However, I'm sad the certificate system had a bug of some sort (or maybe they haven't updated the data yet), since they certify I folded 0 units and completed 0 points respectively. :eek:

[edit: oooh, this stats page is much nicer than the one at the F@H website... thanks for the link! ;) ]

[edit #2: my certificates now show the (somewhat) accurate values of 1 unit and 200 points... Now I'm happy! :p ]

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

6. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I've had the program running for many days now -- and it claims it will take another 8 days to complete a WU on a 1GHz G4.

This seems insane to me somehow.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

My Quad usually takes two full days to do a 241-point protein.

And my office is just too hot as it is to have this thing cranking along with my PB, so I have offically begin my summer folding break. See you in November. :D

8. regre7 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if it produces a sizable change in your electricity bill if you fold?

9. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

depends on how many computers you have folding :rolleyes:

g4 folding 24/7 is about the same as a 150 watt light bulb on 24/7. on the plus side, leaving them on all the time means that you don't have to push the power button as much...:p

10. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

If you have a G5..... :( Which has at least a 600 Watt powersupply, and then there is the Quad.... 1000 Watt powersupply, can you say owh ooooohhhhh

11. regre7 macrumors 6502

So I'm guessing running a Sawtooth G4@350MHz wouldn't make much of a dent in the power bill? Or does it?

12. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    even if it has a 1000 watt PSU, it will almost never use that much electricty. 1000 watts ( 1KW) is the maxium. The g5 will probally only use around ~375 watts for normal use. If you start rendering movies, or doing processor-intesive work, expect those numbers to rise :D

13. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I'm on break too. I don't have wired internet access in my room for my g5 so I was patching through my ibook's wireless for a while to get new WUs. But like iGary said, it's too hot during the summer. I'll start folding when I get back to my freezing dorm room. :)

But anyway, welcome to Team 3446, Mainyehc!

14. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

What do you think you are doing with folding? Your procs are processing at the maximum, so you will come close to the usage of your PSU.

And for a 350mhz G4 or G3, in those days those procs werent really powersavers. My old G3 B&W has an PSU of only 200 Watts, so compared with modern day technology, it's still an expensive heater when you are using it for folding!

15. snap58 macrumors 6502

snap58

So you really think each one of those processors is burning nearly 250 watts? : )

I suspect a good part of the 1000 watts is set aside for video cards, & hard drives. The thing that really seems to heat mine up and get the fans running are the SATA drives.

If you set your machine to automatic in the energy saver panel, it will really clock it back when folding, of course it will take longer to complete a unit too. Running mine on Automatic the fans hardly come on, at least not noticeable to me, but put it on highest and you can tell it's doing something, still not any place close to 1000 watts. I will set mine to automatic in the summer and back to high in the cooler weather.

16. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You always want more power there then needed. So for example when I build a computer if it needs 200 Watts. Then I would put a 300-400 watt power supply in it. At least thats what I do. So apple will have put to much power in there. However I do not know how much is to much. So it should have enough to run all video cards, sound cards, CPU, fans, cd-rom plus a couple hundred watts. So you are never going to use all that power if you are folding. You would have to test to see how much it actually uses.

17. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

That's true, but the cpu's are the most powerhungry, so I think in a G5 more then half will be for powering the cpu(s).

18. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    well if it takes that much power, just fold with a laptop :D