First Few iMac 2012 Reviews Up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tubbymac, Nov 30, 2012.

1. tubbymac, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Eventually the front page of MacRumors will probably have a news story with all of the reviews neatly summarized. At that point this thread should be closed.

Until that time though, the first few iMac 2012 reviews have been posted.

The Verge:
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/30/3709120/apple-imac-mac-mini-review
    9/10 score and surprisingly WORSE speakers than previous iMac

CNET:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/imac/
    The upgraded 680MX graphics tested could handle games at highest/ultra settings!

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 6502a

oh good, CNET reviewed my exact computer! Just go ahead and ship it to me now :D

4. macrumors 6502

that was fast! :)
    thanks!

5. macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

I am probably going to sound like a grumpy old fart, but I found both of those reviews incredible untrustworthy and uninformative.

I have that feeling every time I visit the Verge. Something about their articles seems pretentious and annoying. I can't put my fingers on it.

6. macrumors 6502

They both complain about the speakers. Anyone who is really interested in bass response already has a speaker system with a sub. As for the optical drive, if I find that I really need one, I can pick one up for $30.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Join the club. After reading the reviews I found them both really shallow. Honestly most reviews posted on the day of release are usually rush jobs with very little content.

We'll have to wait for a few weeks until Anandtech gets their massively comprehensive review out - they usually do the best ones. But until then, this is all we got.

It kind of defeats the purpose of an iMac all-in-one system if we have to pair it with some external speakers. I found it really surprising that the speakers are worse even though it looks like they have much more space allocated to the speakers and the speakers are physically bigger this year than last year. I wonder what went wrong?

8. macrumors 6502

I actually found no useful information in both of these "reviews" - only some tests that were easily scalable since all the specs were known for more than a month now. No screen testing, no really detailed photos..

9. macrumors member

And anyone who is really interested in sound quality won't bother at all with the iMac speakers and get a decent headphone amp/dac and a pair of high quality headphones.

10. macrumors regular

TrboMac

Well I did learn one thing. I didn't know the RAM was accessible by pressing a button. I was assuming there'd be three screws like before. Pretty cool there. No surprises elsewhere except maybe the speaker portion.

11. macrumors 68000

Outrigger

For the 27" are there four slots or 2 slots like in the laptops? In the Apple store, if you want 32GB it shows as 4 x 8GB so is it safe to assume that its 4 slots?

12. macrumors member

It's 2 slots. The reason why it says 4x 8GB is because it is double sided memory.

13. macrumors newbie

No, it doesn't. It's 4 slots.

14. macrumors regular

segovius

Those reviews suck majorly.

How can they say nothing about the relative improvements (or not) of the new screen lamination process?

15. macrumors 6502

Damn, where's the "vote down" button?.. :(

16. macrumors regular

CaptMike

Yes, it is 4 slots

17. macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Good, since I don't see any 1 stick of 16GB. Found a bunch for just $140 vs. paying $600 to have Apple upgrade.

18. macrumors 68000

Newegg had a deal a couple weeks ago for 2x8GB for $50 and I have a $10 off so I got 2 kits (4x8GB) for $89.