First game for mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cloudgazer, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

I just purchased my first mac in more than 10 years.
    Need a game to play. I kinda like FPS games, but prefer something with more brains (No One Lives Forever).
    I'm torn between Splinter Cell, Doom 3, UT2004.
    I know splinter cell is not a FPS, i tried playing it on PC but it didn't run very well which put me off.
    Doom 3 looks a little hectic (too much mindless mayhem) or is there a story, what's the replayability like?
    Lastly, UT2004, I live in South Africa, where broadband is basically non-existent, so i wont be able to use the multiplayer mode.
    Is it worth buying for the single player experinece?

Please note: i am a graphics junkie - its gotta look good.
    _________
    15" Powerbook G4, 512mb, 64vram,

2. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Call of Duty without a doubt is the top of the list. Online multiplayer is brilliant.
    Myself being a FPS addict since Marathon, Doom etc.
    Other ones worth your money are-

Soldier of Fortune Double Helix
    Quake 3 (some great mods out there for it)
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Medal of Honor series is brilliant as well.

Try Aspyr for a good idea whats out there, as well as insidemacgames for reviews of games past and present. For demos try macgamefiles.

Gameranger is the only gaming portal, be warned though it is two thirds frequented by teenagers, but stick with it and you'll discover there are some mac gamers out there that aren't morons with personality disorders. :)

3. Cloudgazer thread starter macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

what is CALL OF DUTY like as a single player? Multiplayer games in SA are still a pipedream.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

a vote for ut2004. it looks good and it's brilliant in both single and multi player

5. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Sounds to me like you should play some Deux Ex :)

6. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Fun and challenging! You won't find any mindless mayhem with Call of Duty or Medal of Honor.

7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Amazing. Best WWII game I have played.

8. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Call of Duty is a VERY good single player game, however, be warned - it's fairly short by most standards. So savor every level. Also I cast my vote for Deus Ex as well - this is an old game so it doesn't have the eye candy you're looking for, but my god it's got a good, and fairly long single player game with good a good storyline. Plus you can probably pick it up on the cheap.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I xth Call of Duty. Be warned, as the above poster mentioned, it is indeed pretty short. But on the plus side you don't have to worry at all about it's performance - it ran fine on medium settings on my Mac mini. And that's damn good news for you, mind. :)

On Doom 3, it's fairly long, and does have a story. But it's generally mindless scarefests and shootfests. (Not really scary, just TRYING (and failing most of the time) to be scary). And I should mention, it won't run well on your PowerBook. It doesn't even run all that great on the PowerMac G5's for chrissakes.

10. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

If your looking for a long WWII game, I'd go for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Now that's a long game. But can I also recomend Age of Empires II or Age of Mythology? I got AoE II long before I was into online gaming, and I had a blast with singleplayer. Age of Mythology is also a good one. The campaign isn't very good, but regular singleplayer is a load of fun.

11. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

12. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Yet another vote for Call of Duty. I play both Call of Duty and its expansion, United Offensive. And if I had to buy them again, heck, I would without a second thought! Everyone speaks about how short the single player campaigns are... you know why right? It goes by so fast because its so fun. The Single player took a bit longer for me... I started on Veteran. I would suggest starting on Veteran for your first time anyway, not only will it take longer, be more fun, more challenging, but it makes it realistic. This time your actually crawling on the ground because everyone who stands up around you is getting cut down by MG42 fire coming from the 2nd story in the building up ahead.

Play veteran first. I garantee the next day or so will be filled with constant fun... and by the time your done you'll be all jumpy.
    "Umm... Bob?"
    Slap* "Die Kraut!!... Oh, its you, sorry."

But have your quicksave ready, and for the levels where you have to just survive, whole up with a n00b sprayer and some trusty grenades and hey! Your all set! Call of Duty is still my favorite FPS game and I own Unreal Tournament 2004, Medal of Honor, have played halo, Return to Castle Wolfenstein (However you spell it), and a bunch of others that I just cant think of (Just got home from school = still trying to achieve that higher level of Gaming sense I must find every time I get back on the comp).

13. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Indeed. Call of Duty gets my vote for best singleplayer experiance.

14. applekid macrumors 68020

Yep.

FPS shooters quite often skimp on the single player story, so I can't completely recommend a shooter for single player only. However, the best single player FPS I've played have been:

- Call of Duty
    - Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
    - Ghost Recon
    - Star Wars Jedi Knight II
    - Medal of Honor (get the warchest which includes expansion packs)

Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon have a little more replayability because you can have a "bot match" and play maps without doing a mission. And they do use a little more brain than the other shooters because you have to plan out your attacks.

All of those games should have no problem running on your PowerBook G4.

I will say UT2K4 is still fun to have a single-player bot match, although I don't find myself being able to play such a mindless shooter for weeks at a time. If you're playing casually, I'd say UT2K4 is a nice way to relieve a stressful week ;)

Just cross Doom 3 off your list. It won't be pretty.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

RTCW remember Wolfenstein started it all. need i say more? Doom,UT etc were all second. RTCW is the best Mac FPS in all around fun. My 2 cents but if you have enough OOmph FarCry if it ever comes to Mac.

16. James L macrumors 6502a

My vote also for Call of Duty. Interestingly enough, Call of Duty was written by the same design team (for the most part) that did the original Medal of Honor game. They improved on the design though. MoH is great, but CoD is definitely the next step in that genre.

17. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

People should not write off RTCW. im telling you. You dont need a horsepower machine to run it and enjoy it. !st person is great, Multiplayer is lots of fun. Sub rules.

19. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I don't play a lot of computer games but out of the ones I've played/seen I would recommend either Doom 3 or Call of Duty.... but I would go with Doom 3 because it just looks and feels awesome

20. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Doom 3 gets my vote but it looks like you've not got the Mac spec for it! So my money goes to CoD or UT2004 :)

21. apilotguy macrumors newbie

apilotguy

Call of Duty

Yes Call of Duty is awsome but get the expansion pack to expand the single player game. Single player is very immersive. Its got my vote and when I get off work I am starting up my 4 computer network w/ server and joining some online frenzy. :)

22. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Best single player: Call of Duty and the UO expansion. Played both on Hardened (it's not short on that setting)

Second nomination goes to: Halo. Yeah I know it has issues and most people have played it, but it's a really fun game that can be played over and over.

Third: Ghost Recon. Slow FPS. Requires strategy. HUGE replay value. Tons of Mods.

Fourth: Rainbow Six, Raven Shield. HARD! This games is very complex and technical. It's difficulty and learning curve may be too much for some, but it's really good. I've never beat it, but go back to it every time I'm in between the "next best mac game"

Fith: Splinter Cell. Should be higher on the list, but its not really a FPS and can get a little boring at times. High system demands.

I've never tried RTCW or Allied Assault, but both appear to be great games.

Your Pbook should do well with most of these games except Splinter Cell and maybe Halo. They'll need to be tweaked for faster gameplay.

23. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

24. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Hi, what tweaks are there for Halo? This is a great game and the latest updater allows far better framerates, but if you know of tweaks that can improve further still... appreciated! :)

fwiw, both RTCW and MoHAA should run great on the PBook and are xcellent games. Deffinetly worth a try for that m/c

25. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

No real tweaks for Halo or Splinter cell that I know of. Sorry. What I meant was adjusting the graphics settings.

On the other hand Call of Duty and Ghost Recon have some small tweaks that will help improve things, even on faster systems.

On GR you can change the options file so that Mipmap textures is more efficient. The graphics look just as good (IMO) and you get better FPS!

On Call of Duty you can adjust the amount of memory the game uses to store the level files making the HD work less and more of the level sit right in RAM.