First gaming system

Discussion in 'Games' started by wmmk, Jul 10, 2006.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

I've never had a gaming console, handheld, or more than 3 games for PC. Come this fall/winter (in the U.S. that is, I guess I should say October to February for all of the MR users in the southern hemisphere) I will probably buy a MacBook. Should I get a console too, or just upgrade to a MBP, so that I could do gaming on that. If a console is better, which one should I get?
    Thanks in advance:D

2. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

Go MBP! There are many demanding pc games that are not on consoles (or dumbed down versions are on consoles). But, if you want to save money, you could go with the 360.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

A console is usually less of a pain in the butt. You pop the disc in and play.

As for which one to get... I now present to you... the never ending debate on which console is better.

Personally I'd go for anything but a PS3 just due to price. The 360 is decent fun and I really like what they've doen with XBox Live on the 360 and acheivements are addicting... the Wii appears to be either really fun (I'm hoping) or a complete dud due to the controller. The PS3 is a good system but pricewise it could be rough to start up... yeah you're getting this and that and whatever with it but price is price.

You also might consider getting a PS2 (huge game library and Guitar Hero rocks) and just playing those until the dust settles down. The Gamecube is really good for "in house" multiplayer fun. The XBox has some great games too but feels outdated with the 360 actually being out.

4. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

Umm.. You read some things but not others. The rev. could not be a dud due to the controller because you can get the 'classic' controller.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yes you can. But the Wii controller if it works properly will be a great selling point for the console. It's the only console out of the 3 I really want to be honest and it's to use the Wiimote. If the controller the console comes with feels like a gimmick people aren't going to want to buy a normal controller just to compensate.

6. mozmac macrumors 6502

mozmac

A Rundown of the Future

Save your money and pick up Nintendo's new system, Nintendo Wii (pronounced "We"). The system is being catered to all audiences with it's new motion-sensitive controller. It will prove to be a system that anyone, gamer or non-gamer, and pick up and start using within minutes, whereas if my mom picked up an Xbox controller, she'd be totally overwhelmed with all the buttons. If the motion-sensitive controller sounds too foreign, they will also have a "normal" controller for the system that you can use. They are trying to make it so easy to use that you can focus on having fun instead of which button you want to push.

With the Gamecube system, Nintendo (unfairly) gained the reputation of being just a kid's gaming console. They are going to take the world by storm with the Wii. Of the three console companies (Sony, M$, and Nintendo), Nintendo is the only one that is completely focused on making innovative games that everyone can enjoy. The other two are intent on pumping out completely realistic graphics, whereas Nintendo, while still having stunning graphics, has put more money into creative, intuitive game play and fun games that will keep you and all your friends coming back for more. It will have every type of game, from realistic war-time shooters to Mario party games. I'm telling you...you'll be able to find EVERY type of game on this system when it comes out this Fall.

Tons of new developers have signed on to make games for the Wii, and more will follow. So not only will you have a diversified catalogue of games, but Nintendo has also announced something called the "Virtual Console." The Nintendo Wii will be able to download games (for a small price) from the original Nintendo system, Super Nintendo, N64, Sega Genesis, and TurboGrafix 16.

In short, Nintendo Wii will be the one-stop system for just about every game ever made for any Nintendo system (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii) as well as Sega and Turbo Grafix 16. It is going to be awesome. It will also cost significantly less than the other two systems. The price will be somewhere between $199 and $249. Xbox 360 and PS3 are nice systems with stunning graphics, but they are doing the same old thing we've seen over and over and cost hundreds of dollars more. For the same price, you could buy a Wii with a few extra controllers and some games. If you want the future, while still having the games you've come to love, Wii will do it all.

(P.S. I'm not a hater on Xbox 360 and PS3. I think they are going to be amazing systems. They will have great graphics and fun games. However, I don't feel like spending my money on something I've already played over and over. I want something fresh, something new. Nintendo will bring that while staying true to classic games as well.)

7. kouljackson macrumors newbie

If you buy an Xbox360 I will add you to the list of people i need to kick in the butt.
    :)

Seriousely look at game selection before buying a console.

8. mozmac macrumors 6502

mozmac

One more thing regarding getting a console vs MBP. If want want to do gaming, get a console. You'll be able to play really fun single-player games or invite over friends and play together for hours on end. The MacBook will be good enough to play the random PC games that you can't get on your console. I like to stick with the console for gaming, because that's what it's specialized to do. The MacBook does so many things, that it wasn't set up to do just games, and thus isn't the best solution for them.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hmm, if it's your first system then it might be hard to chose. Lucky for you you get to play Ocarina of Time afresh - a game that is widely regarded as the best game ever. It's for the N64 but you can pick it up for the Gamecube as a bonus disc, which would they play on Nintendo's next machine - The Nintendo Wii.

Personally I think you should get a Wii when they come out. They have a facility to download games from yesteryear so you can experience all the classics. Something any new gamer should do, rite of passage or whatever they call it. So this 1 console will be able to play games from old Nintendo and Sega machines.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Do you know what types of games you want to play? That will play a big role in deciding console vs. computer. If you're a FPS or MMORPG person, PC's are really the only way to go. If you want to have some friends over to chill with, play some football, maybe some super smash brothers, then a console is a better choice.

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'd say get a Wii when it comes out. Some might argue PS3 would be better because of a larger (and in some cases better) catalogue of games, but Wii will play Gamecube games and will be significantly cheaper than the PS3. While you're waiting for the Wii to come out, you can pick up a PS2 for $89 and play lots of great games on it.

12. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Add me to the list, I guess... although it'll be hard to kick me in the butt, because I spend a lot of time sitting down, playing Oblivion, Table Tennis, Tony Hawk, GRAW, Marble Blast, or Burnout on my 360... or streaming photos from iPhoto in Hi Def to my 360... you'll have to catch me when I'm streaming music from iTunes to my stereo with my 360, I'm usually standing up for that.:D

I agree with the Wii recommendation, Nintendo really 'gets' the concept of game development, and I think they have a great chance of 'winning' the console wars in the next gen. I'll be picking up a Wii to go with my 360, but Sony's not getting my money this time...

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Bigger catalogue of games than say NES+SNES+N64+Genesis+TG16+GameCube?

Somehow I slightly doubt that...

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You won't necessarily be able to play every single game for all those systems on the Wii whereas with the PS2 you can play all the PS2 and (I think) all the PS1 games. The Wii will hopefully have all the good older games available though.

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

There's about 10 unplayable PS1 games.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hmmm. The MacBook Pro would be a very capable gaming system, but the disadvantages are that computer games are a bit more complicated (have to tweak settings for best performance, have to install, download the latest patch, sometimes must be troubleshooted), and more importantly, some people don't like gaming on laptops (the keyboard and smaller screen).

I'd tell you to get a Nintendo Wii when it comes out. Why? If you've never owned a console, the huge back library of classic games from the past 20 years will be perfect for you to get in to gaming. Plus, it plays all GameCube games natively so you can play all the recent releases from the past five years with the classic control setup, and of course all the new Wii titles using the new controller.

Not only that, but it is so cheap ($200-$250, versus $400 for a decent XBox 360 and $500-$600 for a PS3) you can still get that MacBook Pro :)

17. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Ninty have said it will be a "Best of..." service instead of every single game ever made available for download. Well personally it would be a dream come true if Banjo-Tooie and GoldenEye were up for download but with Rare no longer with Nintendo all I can do now is destroy Nintendo... I mean nothing.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No they haven't. Nintendo said all their stuff will be up, and all the stuff from third parties will go up IF those third parties agree. So Rare's stuff might not be there if they don't agree to put it up, but Capcom's probably will be if they agree to.

Every first-party Nintendo game ever made should be up there, as well as every third party who wants their titles up, and every first-party Sega and Hudson games for their respective consoles. Plus every GameCube game works natively.

19. mozmac macrumors 6502

mozmac

You raise an interesting point. I wonder how things will work out with the Rare franchises. Those games were also jointly developed by Nintendo, so hopefully they had a clause in their contract that would allow them to use it for something like this. Having GoldenEye on there would be a HUGE addition to the platform. Get all your friends over, play some new Wii games, then sit down and have a classic round of License to Kill with pistols or, my favorite, remote mines in the Facility.

20. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

kelikovision
    commodore 64

ooops. i thought you were asking what our first gaming system was.

21. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

If you aren't a big gamer get the Macbook and a Wii (reportedly will only be $200)...if you were more hardcore I might say Xbox 360...There are some good Mac games out there for Mac but I wouldn't spend extra to play them. If you are big into Photoshop or FCP or something then get the Pro...

The Wii will have almost every great console game ever if you believe the hype (excluding the newer games in the Final Fantasy series and the Halo series and maybe Bond as mentioned earlier..)

My opinion is that the PS3 will be overpriced unless there is some really compelling game for it...

22. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2006/03/26/7367/

For GoldenEye to be on Virtual Console both Rare and EA (the new license holders) would have to agree. This would mean a huge cost for Nintendo.

You've just contradicted yourself. It's likely not all third party companies would agree and some games will be too expensive to license.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Especially GoldenEye...when you consider that EA owns the rights to the franchise and IIRC Nintendo helped develop it.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No I didn't :confused: I said all of Nintendo's stuff will be up, and all the stuff from third parties that agree. Nintendo isn't doing a 'best of' thing, everything they can legally put up they will. That means all first party games for sure.

25. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I suppose "Best of..." isn't the right phrase to use :p I'm sure you get what I mean ;)