First Human Clone Born!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/12/27/human.cloning/index.html

This would be bad enough, but the group who's claiming the feat isn't exactly what you'd call normal.

A company founded by a religious group that believes humans were created by extraterrestrials said Friday that it has created the first human clone -- a 7-pound baby girl named "Eve."

D :(

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

One word...

...scary! :eek:

3. macrumors 68020

mymemory

Having a baby cloned from me or my girldfriend would be boring. I can see a baby bommer generation of cloned people in the years to come. I rather like the clasic way.

4. macrumors 65816

Well, bad enough in your opinion. But it is troubling that a religious freak supposedly abducted by aliens who then started a religious sect was the first to have cloned a human.

5. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How do you figure that?
    The thread is brand new as is the story on CNN.
    :confused:

6. macrumors 65816

Ah, only happened today, guy.

That's really old :rolleyes:

7. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I hadn't heard about it before and if you look at the article the baby was born yesterday - so I'm guessing you're thinking about something else.

D

8. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think he's saying the story/subject was conceived 9 months ago.

But it's nice to know the alien/human hybrid is alive an well in these people's minds.

9. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the sect announced this back in march, and last month they talked about how the women were almost to term, and there was a thread discussing the whole thing then, i think that's what mymemory is referring to...

:)
    pnw

10. macrumors 6502

Bring on the clones!!!

I don't know about you but if you remember the series "Space above and beyond" they mention a whole new invetro race of humans that were created to do dangerous jobs that so called "normal' humans would not do.

If funny how we are so close to that now I'll give 5 more years.
    ;)

11. macrumors 68040

Interesting, I don't know if I trust the group's claims however.

12. macrumors 603

They worship an ex-racecar driver who claims to have been abducted by 4-foot aliens who took him aboard a spaceship and had him mate with voluptuous robot women... and you're not sure if you believe their claims?

i think it's universally accepted that this is a farce...

pnw

13. macrumors 6502a

I bet this poor kid is gonna get sick in few years.
    Foolish people, why doesn't government put to jail all those stupid religious freaks.
    I have some fanatics that meditate near my house doing crazy stuff every night, makes me wanna go there and kill them all!
    Now they are gathering energy from mother earth!! :eek:

14. macrumors member

I know that you were joking around with your comment but remember that everyone should have the freedom to believe whatever they want and practice those beliefs in whatever manner they so desire...as long as they are not endangering those around them. I don't know if anyone is interested but I am starting a new religious group this Sunday that worships Standard Poodles (the toy poodles are not worthy of worship). Afterwards, I will be serving red Kool-Aid for refreshments.

15. macrumors 603

My point was simply that without a lot more conclusive evidence (they've refused to furnish), no one should believe this. I could call a press conference right now to announce the cure for cancer, doesn't mean i've actually found it...

i do think they fully believe they cloned a person, but probably using some psychic technique perfected by the volcano aliens... the equipment and staff required to accomplish such a feat simply aren't available at every 7-11... granted their leader used to be a chemistry professor, but that doesn't mean she's not crazy...

pnw

16. macrumors P6

wdlove

Netscape Poll:

I approve of cloning for:

Humans
    8%

Animals
    5%

Embyronic stem cells
    38%

Nothing
    49%

I'll wait to see the actual proof, it will take years to know the effect! :confused:

17. macrumors 68030

medea

woah, you want to kill your neighbors for meditating and jail all religous "freaks" and your calling someone else fanatic?
    maybe you don't live in america.

On the subject of the story though, I agree that there should be some sort of rules set for cloning and the study of cloning, but it seems like everyone is either too closed-minded about it or too open with it, there should some legal guidelines but it appears we are not able to set them yet (I mean we still have issues with abortion for christs sake) so maybe it is good that some "other" organization has attempted it, but I do think this group is a bit shady and I'd like to see some proof.

18. macrumors member

Humm.. I prefer cats instead of dogs but I can join your cult for a glass of Tropical Punch red Kool-aid, hehehe.

When I saw that scientist in google news this morning I didn't think about moral or ethical issues of cloning. First thing I tought was that Nina Hagen was going to announce her new live album after so many years of musical silence.. oh well.. That lad looks nuts enough to claim she is Nina anyway.

Techné

19. macrumors 6502

Maybe you don't live in america? What's that suppost to mean? Sounds pretty american to me..

20. macrumors 68030

medea

Ever hear of religous freedom *****? Don't people go to jail (assuming nothing goes wrong in the trial) for murdering innocents here in America ?

21. macrumors 6502

I wasn't saying that that's the way things are done in the usa, I was refering to the blunt way that he reacted.
    And don't start proving me right.

Relax.

22. macrumors P6

wdlove

23. macrumors newbie

Seriously man, don't try to act all superior on this. You were baiting him to begin with; if someone started trashing the Netherlands in a similar manner, you might act similarly.

24. macrumors 6502

There would be enough reason to complain, some things are seriously wrong, both here and in the usa.

25. macrumors newbie

If it's true..

If indeed this is true i feel sorry for the child.

Nuclear transplants such as this destroy parts of the nucleolus, which destroy telomeres on the chromosomes. Which means that the body will develop major defects and problems.

We've seen this with Dolly, and the countless mice and cats.

Why do we even need clones, procreation is <easier, cheaper, quicker, more fun> the old fashioned way.