First impressions of a new Apple 23" monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MegaSignal, Oct 4, 2006.

1. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    Just thought I'd post some impressions of a 23-inch Apple Display I purchased today for my 2nd-gen G5 with a basic GeForce FX 5200 (upgraded from a 20-inch Apple arcrylic)

Brighter - almost too bright - looks good at about 1/3 brightness in my particular environment. iTunes Visualizer is simply dazzling.

Price - for the money, this thing's amazing.

Pixels - all perfect; equally amazing, in my opinion. When tested with all pixels switched on (monitor is completely black), I notice some inconsistant illumination near the bottom toward one edge, but then I notice this on most flat-screen monitors.

Base - I'm surprised that the single-foot monitor cannot be jiggled at all; tilt system is silky smooth.

Power/brightness buttons and LED: Buttons are of a "touch" style - no movement. Power can be used for sleep/awake from sleep, but cannot be used to start computer from a complete shut down; front-mounted LED only illuminates during sleep mode. Aluminum styled-frame complements my G5 perfectly.

To those existing users, my apologies for being redundant; hopefully, however, this thread will help those out there contemplating a new monitor.

2. The General macrumors 601

Jul 7, 2006
    Are there two inputs? I plan on getting one of these, but the problem is that I would need to switch between my two linux boxes and my Macbook Pro ... Maybe I just need to get a KVM switch? I could deal with two inputs, and use VNC to access the second linux box, but yeah, just wondering. :eek:
  3. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    Sounds like a tasty monitor! I keep thinking about getting another monitor just to...well,view more stuff and have one!!!
  4. MegaSignal thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that there is only one video input. Use this link and see under "Cool Cables" for more info:
  5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Yeah, rub it in that you have gotten hold of one... Here in Europe we can't get them... :mad: Just Kidding, glad to hear you have one!!
  6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

May 14, 2006
    Roskilde, DK
    How is the backlighting in a totally dark room? Is it ok for movies?
  7. Josias macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2006
    What? It's the iSight you can't get in EU:p (kidding, i read your kidding remark)

Aren't you a wavatar wanna-be?:D
  8. MegaSignal thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    So far, the only motion pictures that I've viewed on it have been some videos that I purchased on iTunes; other than the fact that the video looks rather jaggy due to being viewed on a much larger screen (iTunes music Videos are small files to being with), the small inconsistancy of illumination toward the lower center edge (see my original post) is completely unnoticed. Again, using Pixel Check, this is only apparent when viewing the screen "black" in a test-condition, in a darkened room; if there's any ambient light, you can't see it. In addition, it seems that as soon as there is any image movement at all (music video, iTunes Visualizer, presumably a movie) that this anomally is unnoticeable to me.

Hope this answers your question.
  9. gootz macrumors member

Aug 7, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'm glad to see someone else is happy with the 23". I bought one a few weeks ago and love it as well!
  10. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    I went through 3 23" ACD's. The first had very bad backlight bleeding. So it went back.

The second has quite a few stuck pixels. Sent it back.

My third has 1 stuck pixel (gonna try to massage it out) and very light backlight bleeding.

So I called Apple, I though about sending it back, but I couldn't get them to cross ship because I was sick of not having a display. So instead they gave me a $90 credit.

So I ended up paying only $750 for the display (EDU and gift card buying on eBay) after the refund.

So I am very happy with it :)

It looks amazing and everything is fantastic.
  11. dropscience macrumors newbie

Oct 2, 2006
    are you serious? the cinema displays are one of the most expensive LCDs out there. they're nice, i admit... but you could get something comparably cheaper from another brand, albeit without the usb hub built in...but still, you're looking for a widescreen LCD and other companies are cheaper than apple.

12. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006

Those displays are meant for different people. The S-IPS panel in the 23" ACD is worth it. Look at the other 23" displays that have that panel, they are right in the same range as the Apple.

Regardless, if you need to save money there is always a way. I only paid $860 for the 23" ACD. And now only $750 since they shot some back my way. :D

I am not going to defend the 20" as I feel it is over priced, but this thread is about the 23".