First Intel Penryn Based PCs Arrive... Apple to Follow?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Electronista reports that HP has upgraded their workstations with the new Intel Penryn Xeon processors. The new 45-nm Xeon 5200 (dual core) and Xeon 5400 (quad core) processors can be configured in dual-processor configurations (up to 8 cores total).

Yesterday, Lenovo announced their first machines powered by the Intel Xeon 5400 processors.

Intel will be officially launching the Penryn processors on November 12th. Apple is expected to adopt the new procesors in a revision to the Mac Pro. The new Mac Pro is rumored to be ready to launch as soon as enough Intel processors become available.

Article Link

2. macrumors 65816

3. macrumors 65816

jholzner

Well, knowing Apple, we should be seeing these in Macs in about 6 months or so.

:p

4. macrumors 68030

TallManNY

Plan

Excellent. My upgrade plan is coming together. Got the Macbook yesterday and I will be able to get a tower early in the new year. Portability and power shall be mine. (Though I will have gird my loins before dropping the cash for the tower. I suspect that is going to smart a bit.)

5. macrumors 603

Rocketman

It seems Apple is so focused now on "immediate delivery" they are willing to delay release dates just to assure "sufficient quantities" of chips, whatever that really means. This rather than just releasing the device when chips start to flow and keeping an eye on how lead times vary with time as the flow adjusts over time until initial saturation is achieved.

Which side of that fence are you early adopters on? :D

Rocketman

6. macrumors 68000

darthraige

First Intel Penryn Based PCs Arrive... Apple to Follow?

Ya Gah dang right Apple will follow. Hopefully November 13th or 14th. Apple can't wait any longer, I might as well get a PC if Apple don't release them in November. :mad:

7. macrumors newbie

Well, my new macbook (arriving next week) is more than enough for me....

8. macrumors 6502a

HP is not shipping the new systems until January. Not sure where this leave Apple and other hardware vendors.

9. macrumors 6502

fanbrain

Does anyone think the form factor will change at all?

10. macrumors 68000

krye

Leopard was supposed to be available early spring, then it was delayed. I waited to buy a new Mac Pro. Then ilife 08 was delayed, I still waited to buy a new Mac Pro., Then October came, leopard and ilife 08 were both available, but still no Mac Pro. I've been awaiting since Feb for a new Mac Pro. I have $3000 set aside for the newest system. I’m ordering it on day 1. I can’t wait any more. Come on Apple, don't let me down!

11. macrumors newbie

I suspect penryn based macbook pros will come in december/january. Seems like a logical progression.

12. macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Finally! a page one Xeon/Mac Pro rumor! It's about time...

13. macrumors 65816

What happened

I always thought that Apple would be a market leader when it came to this and announce what was coming with a week lead time. I guess those days are gone.

Sad to see that Lenovo and HP are ahead of Apple when it comes to knew product announcement.

On a side note, I just got a call from Apple asking me about a order saved in my basket, and from the sounds of it next week might be the time. He told me to ring him directly and see what we can arrange regarding the price.

So keep those fingers crossed poeples!

14. macrumors 6502a

Yes, HP announced their's first, but also said they will not begin shipping until early January.

15. macrumors regular

We're on the same wavelength. I just ordered a new Macbook a few days ago, and will definitely be buying a new Mac Pro as soon as it's released. I'm using an eight-year old G4 400, which has served me very well, but definitely needs to be replaced. Got the Macbook both because I needed a laptop, and to let me do the work I need to do that my current computer is too slow to do.

16. Roy
    macrumors 6502

Well, if it was a Mac Pro in your basket, then that would be of interest. If not, then no interest in this thread.

17. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

18. macrumors 65816

jholzner

iLife 08 wasn't delayed. I didn't hear a thing about it from Apple until it was released. Did I miss something or did they just not meet your time line?

19. macrumors 6502

Uh, wouldn't Intel have to release the mobile Penryns in order for that to happen? Everything I've heard says 2008, I don't see how December would even be a possibility.

Has Intel published anywhere release dates for the remaining Penryn processors? Is there a site you can go to for this stuff? (I always wonder where the Guides get their info on upcoming processors..)

20. macrumors 6502a

sblasl

HP rolls out Penryn-based, eight-core Xeon desktops

Will these be the same chips expected to be used in the updated Mac Pro? If so, am I reading this correctly that they actually might be a little slower than the current offerings?

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/11/07/hp.penryn.xeon.desktops/

"The xw6600 and xw8600 will use the upcoming Xeon 5200 (dual-core) and Xeon 5400 (quad-core) in twin sockets to include as many as eight cores in a single system; the smaller 45-nanometer manufacturing process for the chips improves their performance while also reducing heat and power draw. Professionals can juggle intensive modeling and image editing programs without a significant speed drop, HP says."

21. macrumors 65816

jholzner

As another poster mentioned, neither Lenove or HP are shipping these until January.

22. macrumors member

ah, time for a tower to replace the iMac. Bump em all down the line. Hope my parents enjoy their new 20" G5 ;)~
    :apple:

23. macrumors 6502

I think he means iLife '07 was delayed (and renamed '08 as a result). People had gotten used to Apple releasing a new iLife each January.

24. macrumors 65816

jholzner

I think what it is saying is that you can be doing intensive modeling and while that is doing that, you can also be doing image editing and you won't really see a slow down in that task due to the modeling that is also happening at the same time.

Okay. Well, lets look at it as cup half full....iLife '08 was 6 months early! :p

25. macrumors 65816

Intelligence?

Dear Roy,

I presumed due to this being a MacPro thread, that people would be able assume that I was talking about the MacPro. Funnily enough I actually thought people here were able to think for themselves, not needing to be told every single detail.

Just for you lets start again from the beginning.

Yesterday afternoon, I was browsing on the Apple online store, I added a standard configuration MacPro to the basket and saved this order for future reference. I then logged off, made dinner, watched some TV and went to bed.

Now on to today, I went for a walk took the dog for a walk. I get back in the door and 10 minutes later a member of staff from Apple in Ireland asked me about the order for a MacPro saved in my basket. He asked what I was waiting for I told him about the possible Penryn update to the MacPro next week. He said fine. To give him a call towards the end of next week and see what can be done about a possible discount.

Is that condescending enough for you?

Kindest regards.