First iOS 7 Reviews: Everything Improved, iTunes Radio Recommendations Are 'Frighteningly Accurate'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 17, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

At its September 10 iPhone event, Apple provided multiple publications with iPhones running iOS 7. The embargo has now lifted on review posts, so we have gathered some relevant excerpts from each site in order to highlight general release reactions to Apple's new operating system.

Jim Dalrymple, The Loop
    David Pogue, The New York Times
    Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch
    Walt Mossberg, AllThingsD
    Other Reviews

Ed Baig, USA Today
    Stuart Miles, Pocket-Lint
    Myriam Joire, Engadget

iOS 7 will be released to the public tomorrow.

Article Link: First iOS 7 Reviews: Everything Improved, iTunes Radio Recommendations Are 'Frighteningly Accurate'
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2011
    New York City
    Design and no major functionality changes, that's Ive.
  3. macrumors member

Jun 4, 2011
    What time do they usually post these updates?
  4. macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2011
    Wow have you even seen it? Notifications-completely different, control panel-completely new, multitasking-completely different, iTunes radio-completely new, photo albums-completely different just to name a handful. So not just new design/icons. But yes new design too now that you mention it. Just sayin Luke.
  5. macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2011
    1:00pm EDT typically.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2010
    I've been using it since dp1. iOS 6 looks so dated now. The more I use it, the more I like it.
  7. macrumors regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Not exactly a "home run" from the reviews. Calendar app is definitely a step backwards.
  8. macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2011
    I didn't appreciate what a big step forward iOS 7 was until I restored to iOS 6 for a while. Not only are settings much more easily accessed in iOS 7, the whole OS just feels and LOOKS so much more modern.
  9. macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2013
    Hong Kong
    I'm looking forward to that feeling when I see and old screenshot and I can't believe how archaic iOS 6 looks...

It's amazing how we suddenly forget minor details (like the old toggles, for example); but looking at iOS 7 is like landing on a new planet.
  10. macrumors 603

Jan 20, 2010
    Several things in iOS 7 are a waste of screen real estate: the new signal 'dots', the new back chevron arrow button, white space, etc.

Also the lack of a black theme (keyboard is an example) is mind boggling. The white is good for being able to see the screen good in the sunlight, but at night it burns.
  11. macrumors 68020

Mar 16, 2012
    Everything improved? Lol

They obviously haven't updated their iPad
  12. macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Im not sure I'll update my iphone 4 with iOS 7. It might really slow it down further.
  13. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    I wonder if any reviewers (or trolls) will pretend WWDC wasn't packed with thousands of meaty under-the-hood improvements, which will show up to the user as app functionality?

A review of the looks and UI alone is half a review.
  14. macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2011
    I disagree with the iTunes Radio review

I made a Tony Bennett radio station, and he has shown up maybe 3 times out of the past 100+ songs. If I really wanted a bunch of Frank Sinatra, I would have made a playlist for that.
  15. macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2011
    This. LOL, I don't have my iPad running iOS 7. Is it really that bad of an experience? :p
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2013
    iTunes Radio is probably accurate because Apple had Genius for so long and has been collecting data. They've always been in the best position to do something like this.
  17. macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2004
    Council Bluffs, IA
    After using the beta for a few months, I was not impressed. I was using it on a 4S. Didn't slow it down, but it just reminds me an awful lot of the android operating system. Even thought there were similarities, I did like the colors, the stock app icons looked good (a little confusing at first to find some).....but that's about it. ""Everything improved" is a little bit of a stretch though. I did have iOS 7 installed on an iphone 4 and it was super slow.
  18. macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2012
    So are iPad's getting this tomorrow or not until the new hardware is released?
  19. macrumors 6502

Jul 20, 2011
    If they follow the same pattern as past history for software release times, it will probably be sometime around 9:30AM-11:30AM Pacific Time
  20. macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2007
    I got a very positive impression from the reviews (though I only read three of them in full). Where did you see the negates on the calendar? That's one of the things that--from the promo stuff--I'm most looking forward to.
  21. macrumors 6502

Dec 29, 2011
    Irvine, CA, USA
    Very exited for iOS 7. No need to just rush out and buy the new iPhones just yet.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2010
    Ok, Walt and Kara need to make sure that they get their exclusive interview with Tim again. You know, the one where Tim reveals nothing, Kara contributes nothing and Tim doubles down on security. But "Everything improved" is a bit much.
  23. macrumors 65816

Apr 24, 2010
    Geez, David Pogue is such a hack.

Whichever way the idiotic wisdom of the inter-winds are blowing, you can be sure he'll gladly regurgitate it later on in his own column. Gotta appease the fandroids, lest he be accused of Apple bias for calling a spade a spade, right?
  24. macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2012
    iPad's will get the update tomorrow as well.
  25. macrumors 68020

Nov 4, 2008
    I wonder if they've improved the alarm clock bug?