Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While some of us may still be distracted by installing iPhone 2.0 software onto our existing iPhones, we should remember that the worldwide launch of the iPhone 3G is underway. iFixit.com actually flew to New Zealand to be amongst the first to buy and disassemble the iPhone 3G. They have posted a log and gallery of their trip and subsequent disassembly:

A couple of notes for future repairs and replacements:
- LCD and Glass components are no longer glued together
- Battery is not soldered on

Meanwhile, according to iPhoneBuzz, the first person in line in New Zealand posted photos of the event.

Apple issued a press release today reminding us that the iPhone 3G would launch tomorrow in the U.S. Both AT&T and Apple Retail stores will open at 8 a.m. for the launch.

Article Link

WoFat

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
If I ever buy a phone that does more than just dial out and ring.... this will be the one.

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
so it sounds like apple made the new iphone repair friendly! awsome for anybody who breaks something!

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

That's great that the battery is no longer soldered to the board. Makes for easier replacement.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I hope I don't wait in line tomorrow morning to find that the B*&^*&^ in front of me who took the last one decided to take it apart! :eek:

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
That's fairly amusing that someone flew to Australia to take apart a phone.

I guess I'd do it too if I could get ad revenue to pay for the trip.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
They have seasons in New Zealand? I thought it was nice and breezy like Hawaii.

Guess iLearned somethin today.

kleo

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
Where are the 10 antennas everyone keeps talking about? Are they on the bottom of that "dock connector" assembly like on the last one? Or am i missing something :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.