First iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c Teardowns Show Touch ID Home Button, Nearly Identical Internal Layouts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Australian iPhone repair firm iExperts has already gotten its hands on the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c models (via TUAW), working to perform teardowns of the two devices to examine their internals. While the company has yet to start digging into the chips on the main logic board, it has been able to reveal a few details about the devices.

[​IMG]
    Left to right: iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c
    Unsurprisingly, the internal layouts of the new devices are consistent with that seen in leaked part photos and generally in line with that of the iPhone 5. Battery capacities have increased from 5.45 Whr in the iPhone 5 to 5.92 Whr in the iPhone 5s and 5.73 Whr in the iPhone 5c. That iPhone 5s number is slightly different than what appeared in regulatory documents last week but is consistent with what we saw on a December 2012 prototype, albeit with a newer part number on the battery.

A direct comparison of the logic boards from the three devices also shows how Apple has slightly narrowed the boards on the new devices compared to the iPhone 5, making room for a slightly larger battery.

[​IMG]
    Left to right: iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c
    Other tidbits discovered during the teardown include a metal clip holding in the new cable providing a connection for the Touch ID sensor in the home button, as well as a new coating on the power button believed to be designed to increase durability.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 5s home button flex cable with integrated Touch ID sensor
    More information from the new iPhones is undoubtedly forthcoming, with the teardown experts at iFixit also drawing upon their own extensive experience to delve into the details on the various components.

Article Link: First iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c Teardowns Show Touch ID Home Button, Nearly Identical Internal Layouts

2. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

I'm looking forward to reading these reviews. The new phone looks good.

3. macrumors 6502a

croooow

Really?:rolleyes:

4. macrumors 601

Prof.

Any word how much RAM the 5S has?

5. macrumors 6502

1gb, same as 5. (source: anandtech)

6. macrumors newbie

Several of the reviews have said it has 1GB of ram

7. macrumors regular

1GB LPDDR3

8. Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

A bit rushed?

Not exactly the quality of photos and info we are used to seeing from iFixit . Neat to see the items, but looking forward to the detail reviews and info that iFixit can gather for us!

9. macrumors regular

Just ordered mine for Monday delivery :D

10. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

That's because it's not iFixit ;)

11. macrumors 68030

PinkyMacGodess

I'd expect nothing less. The devices are so similar, why not have similar boards and layouts. Makes sense.

Cool, a nekud phone!

12. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

wow, all the leaks were dead on right!

13. macrumors newbie

I can't get over how small logic boards are these days. The nano-SIM slot looks massive!

14. macrumors 6502a

garylapointe

I agree, it'd be stranger to have them completely different, they're just slightly different models of current generation iPhones.

Gary

15. macrumors regular

guerro

So the home button is made of sapphire AND has a coating? I thought the fact it was made of Sapphire gave it its durability?

16. macrumors regular

I can hardly wait for Chipworks to get their hands on the A7 and M7 processors.

17. macrumors 603

That's one big battery ;)

Intresting, cos i thought Apple had issues with Sapphire.

18. Editor emeritus

longofest

Which, let's all say it together, just sucks for what's supposed to be a top of the line smartphone. It may run fine this year, but I imagine it will have a shorter lifespan than most.

They really needed to boost the RAM this time around.

19. macrumors member

delonh92

They said they don't want to cram stuff in for the sake of it.

20. macrumors newbie

It's the power (sleep) button that has the coating.

21. macrumors member

haha, are you surprised? i'm guessing as much as they talk about "doubling up on security", it's going to be very hard because they're trying to build so many phones.

To be honest, if I had to choose between a) no leaks at all but having to wait several months after the announcement to buy the product after the keynote (ie. the original iphone), or b) completely leaked, no surprises at all but next day/next week availability - i'd choose B any day.

22. macrumors regular

polterbyte

I agree. Looking at past products and their ability to run newer/more demanding software, I'd venture it will take at least two newer generations to be launched before the current specs can't handle newer apps with the same aplomb.

23. macrumors 68030

PinkyMacGodess

That's a good article on the 5s.

24. macrumors regular

While I don't disagree Anand also includes the line "From a CPU and GPU standpoint, the 5s is probably the most futureproof of any iPhone ever launched" in his final words, which is a plus.

25. macrumors 68030

PinkyMacGodess

There is no reason for more RAM. I imagine that the iPhone 6 will have 1G too, but the 6s will probably jump...