Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Touch ID is a real advance in phones. But people put Apple in such a pedestal that every iteration of the iPhone in their eyes must be groundbreaking. It's a 5S, what do people want? That hologram keyboard?

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/iphone-5s-fingerprint-sensor.png

Matching Space Grey Home Button!!! Or is it gold????? Says its a gold ring on the black model???

Last edited:

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I find the 5s to be one of Apple's most innovative iPhones ever.

What's innovative about it, other than the fingerprint sensor which has a fairly minimal functional value for most people? Iterating the processor and camera is useful but not innovative. You could make the case that IOS 7 is innovative, but that's not part of the phone; other iPhones can use it as well.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'll be a little envious but Ill hold off replacing my iPhone 5 until next year with an iPhone 6 that will have matured TouchID and iBeacons into a real world electronic payment solution in a completely redesigned iPhone.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Sounds great.

But a year I must wait.
Me too. A year of envy, followed by a year of being glad we waited. Perhaps the iPhone 6 will have 360fps slow mo, and come in a variety of sizes. Of course, it will be twice as fast as the 5S. All I know for sure is that it will ROCK.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
What's innovative about it, other than the fingerprint sensor which has a fairly minimal functional value for most people?

Since when is security a "minimal" feature? People may not use a password but they'll use the fingerprint sensor because it works and it's painless... unlike passwords. Guarantee you that these type of sensors will be "must have" and standard on mid and high end phones in 2014. But Apple is the first to get it right. Yes, that is what innovation is about -- making something in a novel way so that it's practical to use.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I'm very delighted to hear all the great feedback on the Touch ID. I think this is one of the coolest and best features ever to make it's way on a mobile device. I really can't wait to make it a part of my everyday usage, which I think will make things super convenient and a time saver for me.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
What's innovative about it, other than the fingerprint sensor which has a fairly minimal functional value for most people? Iterating the processor and camera is useful but not innovative. You could make the case that IOS 7 is innovative, but that's not part of the phone; other iPhones can use it as well.

The problem is with the word innovative. The fact that you think you know what it means makes me think less of you as a human being.

Name something innovative.....WRONG.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I find the 5s to be one of Apple's most innovative iPhones ever.

It's simple as the S is innovative inside, cause they focus on the inside. The # is innovative on the outside/design, with enhancements to the inside, but usually nothing groundbreaking.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I'm curious to see how much faster the a7 is than the a6 at regular, every day usage. I don't mean playing first person shooters, or playing with google earth on lunch break, but normal stuff...Opening email, checking weather, texting, ect.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I am happy that this phone is well received. I was looking forward to the iPhone possibly being a bit bigger, but it wasn't a dire need. I don't care much for the fingerprint. I think I will like it more when it is integrated into third party apps. I can't wait.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Every year the reviews are the same. I think they just change the 3, to a 4 to a 4s, to a 5, etc....

The phone is the same, so I get that the reviews will always be the same. But I swear these websites get paid by apple, some of the reviews are over the top.

I purchase a ton of apple stuff, but some of you need help. Your infatuation with apple is really disturbing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.