First Leaked Display Part from the 5.5-Inch iPhone 6

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 21, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The first alleged parts from the larger 5.5" iPhone 6 have been shared by 9to5Mac. The image shows the front and back of an LCD backlight panel that measures ~14 centimeters or ~5.5 inches diagonally.

[​IMG]
    The site claims this represents a part for the 5.5" iPhone 6 which has been rumored to be launching later this year. Apple is also expected to produce a 4.7" model as well.

We've already seen some possible part leaks for the 4.7" model, but this is the first part leak for the 5.5" model. Reports had originally suggested the 5.5" model would be released after the initial 4.7" iPhone launch. More recently, however, we've heard that Apple may have solved whatever production challenges they ran into with the 5.5" model.

Possible parts for the 4.7" iPhone 6 model that have leaked include the front panel, batteries, rear shell and chassis molds. Meanwhile, the same LCD backlight for the 4.7" model was photographed in May. For comparison:

[​IMG]
    Alleged 4.7" iPhone LCD backlight
    The 4.7" and 5.5" backlights share a similar design with each other and with the iPhone 5S LCD backlight. The data connector between the 4.7" and 5.5" models do seem different, however.

Article Link: First Leaked Display Part from the 5.5-Inch iPhone 6

2. macrumors 68000

m4v3r1ck

WOW, that's great news! Can't wait (exchange my iPhone 4) for the new iPhone 6 to hit the market. As must have for the new OS X Yosemite & iOS8 combo! :D

3. macrumors member

4. macrumors 68000

MartinAppleGuy

5. macrumors regular

Before any discussion starts, let's remind ourselves that if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. ;)

Personally, I JUST CAN'T WAIT NO MORE !

6. macrumors member

Can someone tape it on their face to show the size?

7. macrumors 68000

m4v3r1ck

Some do have a big mouth.... :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 603

appleguy123

I really can't decide which one I want. I like one handed use, so the 4.7 would be good there, but browsing the web on the go with a 5.5" screen would also have its benefits.

9. macrumors 68020

keysofanxiety

I'll get some duct tape for a mockup. ;)

10. macrumors 604

bushido

is there cut out for the antenna like on the iPads on the one covered in red?

11. macrumors 68040

this iphone will be bigger in dimensions than Note 3..so keep that in mind. I would loved a 5.5" iphone but not that big

12. macrumors 6502

4.7" screen first leaked on 23rd May.

5.5" leaks today. Almost 1 month later.

Hence, I predict 5.5" release will also be 1 month after 4.7" iPhone 6.

13. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Attached Files:

14. macrumors newbie

Sapphire and Split-view support

I would like the 5.5 inch to come with Sapphire and split view.

Also, when people will compare it with Note, questions around stylus (including any innovations around it), will be discussed a lot.

15. macrumors 68020

SeaFox

This just in:

Parts for different models may be different from each other.

16. macrumors 6502a

Don't worry, Apple will fix it for you and make them 4 times as wide ;)

17. macrumors 6502a

marvz

Probably not because it will be very thin. So actually it will be smaller/the same in dimensions/volume ;)

18. macrumors regular

Thares

19. macrumors 68000

Oohara

20. macrumors 68030

Winni

And I always thought that 3.5" was the perfect size for a phone... At least that's what EVERYBODY here has been saying for years. And then came the 4" iPhone. And now that Apple has finally decided to follow the competition, 5.5" is no longer "way too big"...

All that being said, Apple should cater to the wishes of folks like myself and release an iPad Mini that can make phone calls. I don't make many phone calls, but I use the mobile Internet very often, and I certainly don't want to carry two mobile gadgets with me. The iPad Mini has a wonderful form factor, I like that hardware very much. But it doesn't make much sense to buy such a device when you already own a 5.something" smartphone.

21. macrumors 68020

I have no need for an iPad, other than a few user experience annoyances with iPhone (iBooks and Pages document editing) so a 5.5 inch iPhone would be fantastic.

This + MacBook Air (still to buy) would be perfect!

22. macrumors 603

Menel

No, it's still stupidly large. Most of us are just sitting here in shock, mouth agape.

23. macrumors 6502a

The Note 3 is actually a decent size. The iPhone 5.5 won't be as wide as the Note 3 and as has already been mentioned it will also be thinner. I would go as far as saying that the iPhone 5.5 would be easier to handle than the Note 3.

24. macrumors 68020

keysofanxiety

When the iPhone was first released, 3.5" was the perfect size for a phone. However after mobile gaming and browsing really took off, there was definitely a need for a larger screen to appreciate and utilise more content.

Regrettably Apple's defiance and insistence that the one-handed use of a phone is imperative will give the haters quite a lot of ammunition once Apple do release a larger screen with their next phone. Nonetheless they are making the right move and although it's potentially a couple of years too late, they're not yet in a position where it's too little, too late -- as arguably it is with RIM.

25. macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

And suddenly, one hand use became useless, as Apple fans around the world supported Apple's decision to sell a bigger iPhone than ever.