Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
It will be interesting.

Not even having a 1080p screen res, when Android is just leaving that behind would seem an odd thing to offer for your latest cutting edge model.

I'm not saying it NEEDS it. I'm just saying that when you are at the peak of your game and in a market with others offering similar products, you don't really want to be the one trailing the specs esp as you are looked upon as "the best" arguably.

It's a well known thing on these forums to say "specs don't matter" when Apple has lower ones, but to say "yes, we have better specs than you" When Apple does. A defense mechanism I guess.

Samsung has just shown their 2560 x 1440 screen phone.

LG also showing off the 2,560 x 1,440 res also.

Would apple dare to offer 1704x960 ?

Because Apple doesn't do something unless they have a VERY good reason to.

LG and Samsung have screens with 534ppi. That's great.

But is it that much better than a screen with 416ppi? Or even 326ppi?

There are lots of other things to consider besides resolution: battery life, GPU horsepower, etc. You may say Apple is getting left behind... but not when those other phones run like garbage because they are trying to push too many pixels.

We're at the point where pixels are basically invisible... so do we really need to make them smaller?

The term "diminishing returns" comes to mind.

My iPhone 5S screen is 326ppi. But I've never once thought it needs to be sharper.

And that's what Apple does when they design something. They don't add needless specs for the hell of it.

So how dare Apple make a screen with such "low" specs? They weighed the pros and cons.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Changing screen rez is a BIG thing to do and something you don't want to do often.

I think people here often forget this. Has Apple been asleep at the wheel or have they strategically built an ecosystem with the largest developer community?

Understanding the end game and the big picture often means not reacting the moment the competition does. Apple is in it for the long run and while it feels like an eternity, getting to a larger screen size needed time for their platform to grow organically.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Because Apple doesn't do something unless they have a VERY good reason to.

LG and Samsung have screens with 534ppi. That's great.

But is it that much better than a screen with 416ppi? Or even 326ppi?

There are lots of other things to consider besides resolution: battery life, GPU horsepower, etc. You may say Apple is getting left behind... but not when those other phones run like garbage because they are trying to push too many pixels.

We're at the point where pixels are basically invisible... so do we really need to make them smaller?

The term "diminishing returns" comes to mind.

My iPhone 5S screen is 326ppi. But I've never once thought it needs to be sharper.

And that's what Apple does when they design something. They don't add needless specs for the hell of it.

So how dare Apple make a screen with such "low" specs? They weighed the pros and cons.

What was the VERY good reason to make the Plastic iPhone?

Again, sometimes what people think does matter.
Apple seeing by all industry leaders as trailing the pack whilst supposedly telling everyone they are the best is probably not the best idea.

When Apple did introduce their screen they branded as Retina, is was THE talking point as it lead the pack, specs did matter and it was the talking point.

They will never lead the pack in that way I doubt, but at least put a screen in that people regard at in the top division, an equal to others in the market they are placing their product.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I think people here often forget this. Has Apple been asleep at the wheel or have they strategically built an ecosystem with the largest developer community?

Understanding the end game and the big picture often means not reacting the moment the competition does. Apple is in it for the long run and while it feels like an eternity, getting to a larger screen size needed time for their platform to grow organically.

That sounds very interesting as a viewpoint, but if I may shed a little more reality onto it.

Apple had to wait until LG or Samsung could R&D a screen that Apple could buy from them to use in an Apple branded product.

Cutting away the gloss I think you will find that's the nuts and bolts of it.

Apple don't make this stuff or develop it, they have to wait for others to, and then buy the items to use in their products.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
No, that is like 1136x640 iphone 5(s) res x2

I mean from the 27-inch <(diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1440 resolution with support for millions of colors.> to 5.5 inches.

I have to go to a local Best Buy to see those phones, initially that seems an overkill.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Ok, but galaxy s4 is wider and even the s5 has bigger side bezels.
But do you like the htc one(m7) of last year?
The iphone 6 will be about 0,4 mm taller, but more than 1mm less wide.
I tried the htc one (m7) in the shop, and i love the size, is very usable with one hand.
Only LG has very small bezels since the G2. Love it!
I was looking at the specs before and I was considering the 5.5 version. However when I saw the specs I saw that the 4.7 version is near identical to the M7 of last year. I've seen and held an M7 of a friends of mine and to me it seems to be the perfect size. For that reason I think I maybe swaying towards the 4.7 32gb now instead of the 5.5 version.

That's not to say that I won't consider the 5.5 version in future though.

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004

Apple seeing by all industry leaders as trailing the pack whilst supposedly telling everyone they are the best is probably not the best idea.

When Apple did introduce their screen they branded as Retina, is was THE talking point as it lead the pack, specs did matter and it was the talking point.

They will never lead the pack in that way I doubt, but at least put a screen in that people regard at in the top division, an equal to others in the market they are placing their product.

The very good reason to make the plastic phone will become clear when they release the 4.7 and 5.5" phones. Ie a smaller lower cost 4" screen, so then they will have 3 iPhones screen sizes to choose from.

Re your other point, retina was called retina as your eyes can't see the pixels. Anything denser is a waste of resources, and is a wasted spec that Samsung and Lg can brag about. I just hope Apple doesn't follow their lead

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I think they will have 4 sizes.
Don' t forget the 3,5 inch 4s , it won' t be discontinued until Apple comes up with an iPhone 6 mini.
3.75 inch with lightning and a 1136x640 res 16:9 screen? Or just a 4 inch iPhone 6? And discount the 5c even further?

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Those won't be he actually bezels. That's just the light panel.

There will be a display and outer glass on top of it. We won't really know the bezel size until we see the outer glass.

-_-

The wink indicates I am joking...

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
People like you are exactly what puts me off about this site. Typical Apple fans who expect everything to be beyond prefect, even a simple illustration who an perhaps ordinary guy made just to show how a display size would look in a hand. But no, it was a shocking image for a lots of drama members around here!!

Drop it already and get a life if you don't have one.

Why don't you sit this one out a few plays. Take a breather.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

To reduce manufacturing costs on their 2nd-tier phone.

It's an extraordinary effort to produce the chassis for the iPhone 5/5S... machined aluminum, those glass cutouts, etc.

Rather than have two phones that use that process... they kept it to their flagship 5S only.

Plus it allowed them to have different color choices.

Apple IS an industry leader. You forget that Apple also has their own OS, their own very popular app store, music store, etc.

What are LG and Samsung offering besides a high-ppi screen?

When you buy those other phones... are you getting a great smartphone... or just a great screen?

Apple is a "total package" company.

Yes... Apple created a gorgeous screen. And they talked about it.

But somewhere along the line the quest for "moar PPI" became a thing... and companies raced to cram more pixels into their screens. I'll say it again... "diminishing returns"

Also... when the iPhone 4 was announced... the Retina screen was not the only thing they introduced. Front-facing cameras, FaceTime, A4 SoC, etc were also talked about.

Again... if you can't see a difference between 400ppi and 500ppi... why bother?

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
I really can't decide which one I want. I like one handed use, so the 4.7 would be good there, but browsing the web on the go with a 5.5" screen would also have its benefits.

I don't understand this: 90% of the sites I visit on my phone are Web-Apps anyway. And for the other 10% is landscape a perfect solution.

I understand that gaming or watching movies on a 5.5" display is preferable though.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
I think they will have 4 sizes.
Don' t forget the 3,5 inch 4s , it won' t be discontinued until Apple comes up with an iPhone 6 mini.
3.75 inch with lightning and a 1136x640 res 16:9 screen? Or just a 4 inch iPhone 6? And discount the 5c even further?

I don't believe the 4S will be continued since it still uses the 30 Pin Connector.

I really hope the 4" iPhone gets an update as well: making it 5C second gen, 5S second gen,(No these names are not what I think they'd use ;) ) iphone 6 4.7 and iphone 6 5.5.

OR they could sell two plastic phones: The original 5C as the new entry level and an updated 5C like phone with an A8? ;)

Well no matter what, if they want my money, they would need to either convince me how my hands got bigger in 2 years or give us a 4" model with this years specs. (Not claiming I'm the most valuable User out there, but rather making my point ;) )

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I can only imagine the return rate if Apple releases these models so close together. No different than what happened with the iPad Air and iPad mini last year. People are so undecided. Apple should have released the larger phone 3 months ago or 6 months after iPhone 6. So instead of hearing about rumors for months on end we could see 2 phone launches in a year.
Samsung has the right formula with releasing the Galaxy Series and Note Series far apart. As a Note owner I don't mind waiting. The Notes are always better than the Galaxy models.

DeMentid Apps

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
My question is why is this part leak coming from some dudes VW the shifter is standard styling for VW and the reflection in ruler looks like a non iPhone

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I don't believe the 4S will be continued since it still uses the 30 Pin Connector.

I really hope the 4" iPhone gets an update as well: making it 5C second gen, 5S second gen,(No these names are not what I think they'd use ;) ) iphone 6 4.7 and iphone 6 5.5.

OR they could sell two plastic phones: The original 5C as the new entry level and an updated 5C like phone with an A8? ;)

Well no matter what, if they want my money, they would need to either convince me how my hands got bigger in 2 years or give us a 4" model with this years specs. (Not claiming I'm the most valuable User out there, but rather making my point ;) )

Apple should just scrap the idea of a plastic iPhone. It's a waste of resources when you already have the same phone on the market for a year. What is the cost difference between a plastic iPhone vs. a metal one?

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I can only imagine the return rate if Apple releases these models so close together.

I think people will be really angry if they do not release both phones in one event.
They want choices for holiday shopping.

I the 5.5" model comes 6 month later, people will scream bloody murder.

I will look at both but probably go with the 4.7" model, but if I have to wait I will always think "well, what if the 5.5" model has some advanced GPU?" or other interesting features.

Most would be disappointed if they shift the dates.

As for the iWatch, I don't believe different sizes will fly either....

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Isn't the 4.7" screen something like 38% more screen? You don't see a benefit in that?

Yeah I was about to reply the same thing. The guy just calculated the increase ratio between the 4" and 4.7" diagonals, and as you know it doesn't work that way.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I will switch to apple for a 5.5" with thin bezel and a 2 day battery life. If the top and bottom are as big as the mock phones then no go.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
People need to remember that higher res screen requires more powerful GPU to be able to render things at the same frame rate. I think Apple learned a lesson or two when they made the iPad 3, thus now they seem to be more conservative in screen resolution, while pumping up their GPU continuously.

I welcome larger phones, and personally, I want Apple to just go all the way and put a phone inside the iPad mini. However, I wonder how Apple is going to spin the one-handed usage thing that they boasted during the iPhone 5 release.

Or, maybe the large screen one is for the new iPod Touch? "The best portable gaming system with the largest screen, bigger than the PS Vita." A stretch, but the iPod Touch does need some significant refresh now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.