Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage10.png
EA plans to release the next version of SimCity -- the classic city-building game -- on the Mac simultaneously with the PC release this February. Mac users will be able to connect to the new multiplayer component in SimCity and appears to be feature-complete with the PC-version.

Development of the game has moved along far enough that EA feels comfortable showing off some gameplay videos, including this first look at the early stages of building a small town and a quick glimpse of the new day/night feature.

SimCity is expected to be released in February of 2013. EA has yet to announce pricing or system requirements.

Article Link: First Look at the New SimCity, Coming February 2013

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm looking forward this! I really miss playing this game and even considered BootCamping Windows again and buying one of the older versions. I'm glad I wont have to now.
SimCity has always been one of my top favorite games.

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
I'm looking forward this! I really miss playing this game and even considered BootCamping Windows again and buying one of the older versions. I'm glad I wont have to now.
SimCity has always been one of my top favorite games.

+1 have not played recently because Lion took away all power pc compatibility. Was thinking about dual booting in to SL but never got around to this.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
I've waited for this since high school. Now I'm in grad school. Hopefully it lives up to expectations!

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
SUPER excited for this. Like really. Even if it was $80 I'd pay! I've played every version of SimCity (SNES was the best, amirite?!) and this new one is really opening up the simulation to new levels. I watched a bunch of the tech demos from a few months ago and it blew my mind :)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
As long as it runs better than Sim City 4 did on my PowerBook back in the day, I'll be very happy! ;)

I've been playing Sim City 4: Rush Hour via BootCamp recently and I've been having a lot of fun with it. Should be a lot of fun when this is released!

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
I remember Sim City 4 back in the day. So excited about Sim City "5". Societies was a joke of a Sim City and this should return the series to the king of city simulation.

Can't wait :D

eroyce

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Minnesota (brrrr)
Some big changes

While this is by far my favorite game series ever and I was very excited to hear the news earlier this year, I do have some concerns about the new version. You can read the forums on the EA site for more details, but it sounds like the game will require an internet connection to play (meaning EA can pull the servers in a couple years and the game won't work), and some aspects will rely on other players.

I'm taking an optimistic yet hesitant stance until we see more.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I just hope they don't make it "freemium" and charge you for every decent building.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
While this is by far my favorite game series ever and I was very excited to hear the news earlier this year, I do have some concerns about the new version. You can read the forums on the EA site for more details, but it sounds like the game will require an internet connection to play (meaning EA can pull the servers in a couple years and the game won't work), and some aspects will rely on other players.

I'm taking an optimistic yet hesitant stance until we see more.

Ah drm.. funny thing is it will likely not affect pirated copies as they will probably run it connected to a pretend-server installed on the machine itself. Only smacking the paying customers in their faces as usual..

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Sadly, I'm not getting my hopes up. It is EA, after all.

* Looks like this will be enforced multi-player. No single-player option.

* City sizes are apparently fairly small, maybe a half of what previous versions have been.

* Probable dumbed-down player controls

Sigh.

It does *look* fantastic, actually quite close to what I'd been hoping to see... 10 years ago.

Hey, if it beats my low expectations, I'll spring for it. But recent history doesn't give me much hope.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
The build order seems quite different than the tutorial cities they've given in the past. Makes me wonder how much different it will be (they have to have the transportation guy going postal if you lower his funding).

Hope they have a video explaining how you can completely destroy your city (I'm worried that the always on DRM thing will prevent you from trashing your city and reverting to a previous save).

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Simcity 4 also had the day/night feature :rolleyes: . Makes me sick to think about what EA have done to this and other franchises...

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Sim City, for me, it's one of those games that you can sink 100's of hours into, but never actually enjoy :p

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Uh, pricing has been announced...$60 for the limited edition, $50 for the normal. You can already preorder the LE for mac here. There are system requirements as well, though preliminary. It looks like they will be modest, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.