First Look: Hulu and You

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 13, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I had high hope for, but still not my cup of tea.

Having a full featured film streaming sounds good tho.

Before the whole NBC and iTunes thing, I bought Top Chef season pass on iTunes. Now, there is no legal way for me to watch that show online. I wish offers more full episode TV shows to the public.
  3. bov
    macrumors 6502

Aug 21, 2007
    San Francisco
    i experienced so much delay and buffer times while using hulu.. wasnt good..
  4. macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    I was part of the Hulu beta program, and I've got to say, full screen on a PPC mac has been butter-smooth. Hulu is the best iptv site I've seen to date. If you close a show that you're watching, it remembers your spot, and returns you there automatically on your next visit.

Miles ahead of CBS Innertube and
  5. macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2008
    I have been a part of the beta program too, and i have had no problems with buffer times... etc. It works amazing on my new MBP (much better then my 5 year old PC). I hope that ABC and CBS get in on the action, so we don't have to watch TV shows in little boxes on their sites.
  6. macrumors member

Jan 28, 2008
    apples to oranges

I suppose Hulu has its place as a streaming content provider, but I much prefer using iTunes where I can take my content with me (read: iPhone on a plane).
    Also, if I read minik properly I think we're in the same boat. During the writer's strike I wanted to watch Chuck and see if I dug it. I watched the pilot via Hulu, liked it, and then tried to go on to episode 2 and .... ?? they only had 9-12 (-ish). So off I went to a Torrent site!
    Point is, I was willing to pay for the iTunes download (but it's an NBC show), then I was willing to go the legit streaming route (ads and all), and then I resorted to the "naughty" method.
  7. macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I wasn't in the beta testing process, so I couldn't compare beta vs. public release. I didn't experience any hiccup on my G5 w/7Mbps DSL line anyway. Streaming content delivery is fine for me, but sometimes I want an option to download the content in the background, like RSS feeding style and iTunes season pass, then watch them later on. is a good start tho.
  8. macrumors P6

Apr 1, 2005
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    I've been in the beta program since the beginning. I've seen it go from crappy to fairly well. Yesterday we tested a P2P stream and that kept buffering and conking out but I'm sure it will get better.
  9. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    I've gotten good use out of MyABC and Fox on Demand (both free, both high-definition, both Mac-friendly, and both with far fewer ads than broadcast TV). I'm not sorry to see NBC shows available too... not to mention Sci-Fi :) I see they have Battlestar Galactica. Hope they keep up promptly with new episodes the way iTunes did.

Hulu doesn't seem to be high-def--but neither are TV shows on iTunes to AFAIK. MyABC and Fox on Demand look better as far as picture quality--but they have controls and window borders even when full-screen. I like the "true full-screen" at Hulu. (CW has a few full episodes, but their full-screen is more like "full-page.")

None of which changes that there's not much good on TV :eek: But it's nice to keep up with Lost and Galactica and Pushing Daisies without paying for downloads OR cable. I can deal with limited ads.
  10. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    I got accepted into the beta a few months ago but when I tried to use it, I got a message stating that it only works in the US.

Earlier this week, a reputable news site in NZ mentioned that the service would officially launch the next day (and didn't say anything about it being US-only). I was excited about finally getting to try it so I went over there, and BAM! "You're not in the US, go away". :mad:
  11. macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    How about Joost? Any experience on it? Am I being OT? :p

I wasn't IN for the Joost 'non-public' program nor I have an Intel Mac.
  12. macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    the problem with joost is that the content is old, and it seems as though nothing gets updated. if i wanted to catch any episode from any network broadcast from this season or any recent season, i'd be pretty much out of luck.
  13. macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I was in on the beta and used it to watch a few shows I missed on TV. Thought it was the best site of its kind that I've used to date. Performance was flawless each time.