First Mac -- considering Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Cuscus, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Cuscus macrumors newbie

Cuscus

I'm a long time PC user (Windows, Linux) considering moving over to Mac for most of my computing needs. There's no way I'm going for Windows and I don't want to waste time making Linux work with my hardware. Leaning towards Mac because it works out of the box.

I am a student as well as a php+html/java developer. I'm not a gamer and don't need to run graphic-intense apps like photoshop or movie editing stuff. I require a laptop (I like to do some work while traveling, need computer in class, like to sit on the couch, etc.) which will last me a minimum of 3 years without having to be repaired every year.

Is getting a 12" refurb. Powerbook a good idea, or should I risk getting a Macbook? Seems that MacBooks have a lot of problems with heat, fans, app nativity, melting power adapters, discoloration, whatever, especially since they're bleeding edge.

Although not a fan of the latest and greatest, I'm not totally sure about the future with a powerbook g4. I'm looking for a new computer after my eMachines m-series died of multiple failures, and can't really wait a few months for a new revision of macbook.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As a developer, getting anything less than a Intel-based Mac isn't a good idea over a long term like 3 years.

If you are worried about rev A problems, the next batch should be here rather soon.

3. rglatter macrumors regular

Hello,
    Ive been a long time PC user as well and just switched to a mac with the MacBook Pro, which I think is great, there is a bit of heat to it but I dont realy use it on my lap alot, and the whine I have had little issues with but I have music on most of the time so it doesn't realy bother me that much.

You mentioned you were looking at the 12 inch powerbook which is a great machine and I think that would be very good for your needs. you were asking about the regular macbook and I have no experience with them personaly but I have read that some of the problems such as discoleration has been fixed, and I also think that apple is fixing the whine issue as well. You also mentioned app nativity which is an important thing.

I do a bit of web development as well and I use dreamweaver on the macbook pro which runs under rosetta. I upgraded to 2 gigs of ram and it runs great, so if you decide to go with the macbook I would deffiently go with 2 gigs of ram. That being said, a macbook with 2 gigs of ram would be a bit more expensive than the refurb powerbook. I think you would be happy with either of the machines but if I were you I would go with the powerbook because you wont have to spend the extra money on the RAM and you know it will work no problem and many people have been using it for a while. Whichever you choose you will love.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

As a fully-hybrid Windows/Mac user (who used to work for Microsoft), allow me to add my 2¢:

Don't bother with a G4 or G5 machine. Go with Intel. They're faster, and they can dual-boot Windows and Mac operating systems. The flexibility you get from this is something you just can't put a price tag on.

5. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

A refurbish 12" Powerbook actually costs more than the better refurbished Macbook 1.83.

I say get a Macbook.

6. theman5725 macrumors 6502

In a couple of years PPC machines will be way out of date anyway. Go with Intel. I have a MacBook and I love it.

7. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

id get the MB, even if the PB looks way cooler

8. Cuscus thread starter macrumors newbie

Cuscus

If I go with the 1.83GHz Macbook (bought sometime in early September), is there a high chance I'll have to replace it 3 times do to random shutdowns, mooing, or about 40 other problems?

I really can't afford to be without a notebook for very long, which means no tolerance for crap from apple.

Maybe I should get a PC-based nb and put on Linux? Or are the Macbooks more reliable than I've heard?

9. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I think you'll be perfectly suited with a macbook. It's only a low percentage of people who complain about macbooks, but recently the complaints have lowered. You can buy a refurbished macbook for $950 which is a great bargain for the product you're getting. I'd take it.

10. Cuscus thread starter macrumors newbie

Cuscus

According to Apple, the refurb process includes an initial test as well as a final qa test. So if this is true I should get a Macbook with no problems on arrival?

The only thing holding me back from a PB is the wifi reception.

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

As an owner of two 12" Powerbooks I'd say go with the Macbook. The Powerbook is already out of date and the new Merom Macbooks should be with us soon.

12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I recommend the MacBook. You will definitely be disappointed with the PowerBook if you want it to last more than a year or two. You think there are issues with the MacBooks, because you're looking for issues with the MacBooks. They are scattered incidents and becoming less common with each passing week.

No brainer.

13. Cuscus thread starter macrumors newbie

Cuscus

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm going to go for a white Macbook. I'll hold off buying until Sept. when I get back from my vacation.

Any idea if the "consumer" Macbook is going to be equipped with Merom anytime soon?

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Check the headlines on this site.

15. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

i was also considering buying a Powerbook G4 but after seeing the headlines here and that the site i was going to buy from (wegenermedia.com) has had some bad reviews i have changed my mind and decided to wait because i have the luxury of being able to do so.

16. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

My 2Ghz white MB is perfect. No Problems whatsoever:)

Get the MB, it's more future-proof than the powerbook.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Keep in mind that any problems that have been raised here on this forums doesn't mean that 90% of the macbooks have problems. I would say something on the line of 8%. This is a total guess. Meroms according to MacWorld are due out Sept. 5th or later. Another thread in this forum explains. Just search for Merom and it will pop up.

18. tristan macrumors 6502a

Huh? The TiBooks used to have wifi reception problems but that was ages ago...

I recommend you go Pro as soon as the Merom's come out. Either get the new Merom or a refurb 1.83ghz Yonah. No disrespect to all the MB owners out there, but there's no substitute for going Pro.

And don't worry too much about the reported quality problems, by buying now you've pretty much avoided all that.