First Mac is on the way!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac3687, Nov 22, 2006.

1. mac3687 macrumors member

I'm very excited, I've got my first Mac (a black MacBook) on the way, but I've got the first of many questions... I'd like to install Boot Camp to use a couple of XP programs if I can, rather than buying the OSX versions, but I'm wondering if when on OSX, can I access files made on the XP version of the computer, and when on XP, can I access files created on OSX? I figured that would be easier than transferring things to a flash drive. Thaks in advance!

2. mac3687 thread starter macrumors member

What I mean is that I plan to import my photos through Aperture, but I'd like to do the serious editing through Photoshop, which I have for the PC. When I reboot to XP, will I see a drive with everything from the Mac side of things, including the pictures I imported, or will I have to transfer them to a flash drive? Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Congrats on the purchase of your first Mac mac3687. :)

As far as I understand, you can read the windows files from Mac OS, but not vice-versa. It seems that Windows is not able to read Mac's HDD formatting.

I could be wrong though, I don't currently use Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro (no Windows for me :D ). :eek: :)

4. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Congrats on the purchase. Mac OS X can read but not write to NTFS drives. Adversely, Windows XP cannot read HFS+ at all, BUT if you get and install a program called MacDrive on windows, you can have both read and write access to mac volumes. Hope this helps!

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

you could keep everything on an external hard drive or a separate partition that both operating systems can acccess.

MacDrive is good, too.

6. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

7. mac3687 thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys, thanks for all the input! I'll probably end up going with MacDrive, it looks like a very nice piece of software. I literally check my order status every four or five hours, even though I know it won't ship until Monday, I've just waited for such a long time to finally buy a Mac!

8. K20 macrumors member