first mac (macbook 2ghz) questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Salteh, May 19, 2006.

1. Salteh macrumors member

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi guys, Im just about to order a this laptop but ive got a few questions first.

1) Can you use msn messenger with it, and is the isight usable as a webcam for it?

2) Can i access my hotmail account on my mac?

3) How do I transfer my music and movies from my old pc to my mac?

4) In firefox on a mac, how do you open new tabs? (on my pc i middle click)

5) What sort of stuff can you do on a macbook considering its not got a dedicated gpu?
    I would like to teach myself basic photoshop skills, but v basic here, edit pics from my digital camera and maybe some light video editing (cutting the start/end from small non HD clips, re arranging and saving them etc nothing too taxing)
    if i cant do any of these its no big loss, i can always use my pc.
    i will mainly be using it for browsing web with firefox, and using itunes/watching movies.

6) What ftp proggy do i use on a mac to upload to my site?

7) How well can it play football manager 2006?

8) How well do they handle playing high def movies?
  2. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Nov 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    1. No, the iSight won't work with MSN Messenger.

2. Go to and click hotmail to get your hotmail mail.

3. Do you have a home network set up? If not, get a firewire cable.

4. Apple + T
  3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Yes you can use isight as a webcam..because that is what it is. With MSN...I hear no, but I bet someone will figure out how.
    Yes you can get to hotmail via a mac.
    Transfer your music and movies via external hdd, ipod, network, or burn everything to a DVD and just do that.
    Everything you wanted to do in your list of things with the gpu you can well is another story. I don't have that model so I don't know for sure what the performance is like.
    I use cyberduck ftp it is free fast and I love it.
    Football manager is windows only I thought...unless I am thinking of another one. If it is mac then it'll run perfectly I'm sure.
    I can't even come close to guessing at an answer for #8.

Good luck with your new purchase.
  4. Salteh thread starter macrumors member

Nov 28, 2005
    is it possible to access your hotmail emails through msn on a mac like on a pc?
    yeah ive got a home network setup, can i just browse through the network and grab what i want?
    i am reading up about macs atm as i have for the last 6 months but i havent found any of this info yet.
    thanks for your help
  5. Salteh thread starter macrumors member

Nov 28, 2005
    my fm2006 box says it works for mac aswell, im thinking itll run quite well cos its alot more cpu intensive than gpu, loads of number crunching
  6. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    mercury messenger will allow use of the webcam with msn.

as for firefox use safari and to open tabs press command-t or go to the file menu and click new tab.

to move stuff between your pc and mac see the networking pc's to macs stickey.
  7. Salteh thread starter macrumors member

Nov 28, 2005
    well i ordered it, 2ghz core duo white macbook with 80gb hdd.
    only 512mb of ram atm, i need to wait untill payday to spend anymore money :>