First Mac, MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dixiehacker, Dec 29, 2006.

1. dixiehacker macrumors newbie

Hey all, I just got my first Mac yesterday. The CompUSA near me was having a sale. I picked up a Macbook Pro Core Duo 2.16 15" with 1 gig ram, 100Gb 5400 hard drive, and 256 Meg video card. I got the thing for $1320. So far I am pretty happy with it. I just can't help but wonder if I should have spent the extra $700 for the C2D. Anyway, while it is still in the return period, I thought I would ask what you all thought.
    BTW, reading these forums over the past couple weeks has been very useful.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As long as you don't have any problems with it (excessive heat, mooing -- which was never an MBP problem anyway, I think?, grainy or banded screen, etc, etc) then I'd say, stick with it! It's a great machine... and unless you have specific needs for the newer video card or C2D... $700 is a HUGE price difference!

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

My thoughts exactly. OP got an *excellent* deal. :cool:

Welcome to the forums (and Mac OS X), dixiehacker! :D

4. dixiehacker thread starter macrumors newbie

Speaking of Banding, when I look at this picture http://home.freeuk.com/jackdodds/banding/granger_MBP_C2D_test.jpg . I see jagged lines going up and down between colors in the middle. Does that indicate a banding problem, or is the image susposed to look like that?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, that should be fine. I see them on a G5 iMac also (which I'm pretty sure has no banding issue).

Look at this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=256248

The first post has a simulation of what you would see if you had the banding problem... there would be multiple bands running parallel to the jagged line.

6. dixiehacker thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks. Looks like I am ok.