(First Mac) Portable vs. Desktop ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BoA*, Dec 8, 2005.

1. BoA* macrumors member

BoA*

Well,
    I've always wanted a Mac. Especially the G4 iMacs...

Anyway, I've convinced my dad to get me one for xMas. Originally he wanted to get me a PC laptop, and when I asked him if I could get something different he gave me a budget of 1300. Well, should I ask him for a portable (iBook or refurb PowerBook) or Desktop (refurb iMac G5) ?

Things I do:
    Web Design (Personal Domains, and forums, sometimes I do pay work/customs)
    (Heavy) listening to music
    Recording/Editing music
    Wanting to start working on movies
    Watch DVDs
    Writing (Novel-length stories), so I'll need to buy MS Office. Unless Open-Office has a mac version
    Browse the net a lot
    Virtual Classes (I have a PC for this though)
    AIM/LJ/Myspace
    Blogging

The portability issue isn't that much, as I'm still in High School. It might be useful next year, as I'm going in to a Tech Magnet program most likely. The only thing I really wanted a laptop for was to be able to write in bed...

So which do you think will be better for me ?

I was thinking of getting an iMac G5 refurb from somewhere like PowerMax, and then just getting a copy of Tiger off of eBay since most of theirs come with Panther. And saving up for an iBook G4 with my own cash...

2. Willy S macrumors 6502

These are not CPU hungry tasks so any Mac should be good enough. I wouldn´t buy MS office unless I would really need it. There are other options...

I would get an iBook if you want a portable computer and if not I would get the Mini and a good display.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

I would avoid that route. You'll pay top dollar for a used machine from PowerMax. The best place to purchase refurbished macs is directly from Apple.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...f2h/0.0.19.1.0.8.63.0.0.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?75,58

The prices at the refurb store are about as good as you'll find anywhere. Plus, you'll get the standard 1-year warranty with option to purchase AppleCare.

Look for a Rev. B model iMac G5 (with Radeon 9600 graphics). The rev. B models include:

17" 1.8 Ghz with Combo drive
    17" 2.0 Ghz with Superdrive
    20" 2.0 Ghz with Superdrive

4. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

I second that. I love my Rev. B iMac. Just make sure you (must must) get 1Gb RAM. If you're handy with a screwdriver, buy a upgrade stick, and install it yourself- very cool to see the insides..

5. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

The larger screen of an iMac would be better for web design than the smaller screen of a laptop... but aside from that, most of the things you want to do could be done just as well on a laptop.

Do you already own an external monitor?

I'd consider getting a 12" or 15" PowerBook for the portability, then hooking it to an external monitor/keyboard/mouse for doing design work.

In the "Special Deals" section of Apple's online store, there are a few refurbished 12" Powerbooks for under $1200 - and an older 15" PowerBook for $1300

For example:
    Refurbished PowerBook 12-inch 1.5GHz SuperDrive
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    80GB Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)
    AirPort Extreme
    Bluetooth 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rates
    Your price: $1,299.00

(an iBook would be okay too, but you can't use them with the lid closed - so I prefer to use a PowerBook)

6. BoA* thread starter macrumors member

BoA*

Thanks for the advice guys!

He's decided to get me a (new) iMac G5 from Compusa.com.

Specs:

PowerPC G5 2GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 8X DVD+/-RW SuperDrive, Built-in 17-inch LCD Monitor, Mac OS X Tiger v10.4

Downsides are no mighty mouse or remote, like the 1.9 one that's three hundred more with the free shipping...

Ah well :D.

Anyone have a link to some reviews for this ? Especially by noobs ?

We're having trouble agreeing on In store pickup or the free shipping option. He likes In-store so I won't open it untill Xmas, and I like the shipping because I get a definite knowledge I'll have it.