First Mac, wrong time?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcoe19, Jan 9, 2007.

1. mcoe19 macrumors newbie

mcoe19

Hey all. Im new here as I got my first ever mac just yesterday! Ive ummed and ahhd about it for ages and finally took the plunge. Its a lovely black MacBook and I have it set up with a dual display (19").

Anyway with MWSF around the corner I think it was the wrong time. Im not worried about new MacBooks coming out but all the new software. iLife, iWork and of course Leopard.

Anyway to my question. Seeing as I did get it just yesterday would Apple offer an upgrade or special price for the new software?

Thanks guys. Im loving the Mac btw :)

Matt

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't think you'll be able to get a discount, but... iWork is never free, and Leopard won't likely be out for months (I could be proven wrong in a couple of hours), so it's no biggie. You've only missed what are likely minor iLife '07 updates. Enjoy your Mac! ;)

3. moonislune macrumors regular

Congrats on the new Mac...welcome to the Dark Side. No one really knows what Apple is going to introduce today at MacWorld, but you purchased a machine with some specs that should last you a while. So far as software goes, if you are a student you can get Leopard, Iwork, Ilife 07 fairly cheap with an education discount. I could be wrong, but I don't think Apple will offer you a discount on the upgrade. Just my 2 cents. Congrats again on your purchase, enjoy it!

4. mcoe19 thread starter macrumors newbie

mcoe19

Yeah Ill be able to get a student discount on them. Its no biggie, Ive got plenty to play around with for now anyway :)

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

As of when I was working for a reseller last (3 years ago) Apple's policy was that units bought within 10 days of an OS release could submit a claim to Apple via 1-800-my-apple and get the new OS free plus shipping costs. This is particularly true for releases like 10.3 when they pre-shipped new product displays to the resellers and we had to get them ready for display by opening following the keynote. They may be less sympathetic if there's an announcement for Leopard that won't ship until March.

This is NOT generally considered public knowledge and is NOT advertised. When you approach Apple you must ask: "I just bought a new machine two days ago and now Leopard is out. I feel screwed. Is there any way I can get Leopard for the machine I just bought?" They'll jerk you around a bit but usually you get the new OS if you can keep cool and keep at them.

6. mcoe19 thread starter macrumors newbie

mcoe19

oo thatnks for the tip. If Leopard is suddenly released today Ill try and get it but if it is shipping in a few months I may leave it. But I'll definatly look into it. Thanks guys.

7. moonislune macrumors regular

Wow, nice find!