1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    Im a tenth grader whos been good with money for the last few years not buying everything i want and waiting for birthdays and xmas. But im tired of using this @$&*(*&^ pc and i cant convince dad to buy a mac so ive been looking at the iMac g5s and powerbooks. Im not buying another computer any time soon so i dont mind spending money. im looking at the higher end powerbook g4 or the 17 and 20inch imacs. I plan on doing a little gameing halo ext but im not a hardcore gamer. Id also like to know what kind of musical hookups i can do with the computers i play keyboard.

lookin for advice
  2. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    There is a Powerbook G4 but not a G5 yet (if there ever is one). Do you need portability? If yes, then you only have two choices the Powerbook and iBook. If you do not need portability, then just get the iMac G5 with lots of RAM. I am in 11th grade, and I have an eMac though I would love to have portability with an iBook or Powerbook.
  3. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Most audio editing suites will work fairly well with a fast G4,
    but most of the required specifications clearly prefer the G5.

I would wait to see if Apple upgrades the G5 iMac GPU card before
    making any final decision.

A 2.0 GHz iMac with a 128 MB GPU
    would be a very attractive machine to own.
  4. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
    Does your keyboard connect to your PC? What sort of a connection does it use? All of the Macs that you've mentioned interest in have USB and Firewire ports, you can get them with Bluetooth and Airport Express as well. Check the specs on Apple.com to verify USB 1.1 or 2.0.
  5. vieoray macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2005
    it all depends on portability sounds like to me. if you want to carry the computer around, get the powerbook. if that's not important, get the iMac. both are really great and you will be satisfied without a doubt. you can hook your keyboard up to both of them no problems.

do you plan on going to college? if so, think about how you will use the computer then -- or you can think about the educational discount you will be able to use at that point :)
  6. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005

My keyboard attaches to my pc via midi
  7. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    know a teacher

i plan on going to collage but ive got some teacher friends who i can buy it through so ill get the edu discount anyway
  8. SLCentral macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2004
    Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
    You'll have to buy a MIDI to USB adaptor in that case. They're under $50, I use one with my iBook with no problems in Garageband.