Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silkyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Hi there,

I'm aiming to get my first Mac January of next year once I've got some cash from the holidays and I've got several questions!

What this Mac is for: App game development, music, light Photoshop

1. Will an 11 inch screen be big enough? At times I can hook it up to an external display
2. Is 4 gigs of RAM enough?
3. IS January a fair time to buy or is it going to update a month later?
4. January is around when they do there back to school have a free ipod sale right?
5. Do I need a superdrive?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
1. 11" might be a bit small, even with that resolution. But an external display will help a lot.

2. Might be, if you do not plan to multi task a lot between your applications. 8 GB should be in there if your budget allows that.

3. New MBAs will arrive in late Spring or early Summer when Intel releases its new Haswell chips.

4. Back-To-School is only in the Summer, since that is normally considered the time to go back to school, since the time between school year's end and school year's beginning is the longest period of absence from school, though it might be different in the USA.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If u need it now this is actually a good time for get a fairER deal. Current Apple Store discount $100 off retail. With good credit you can delay payment for 1 yr I believe.

Next summer update seems like the target if u can wait.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
It sounds like you're a student, don't forget to take advantage of the education pricing! I would personally recommend at least a 13" screen, but depending on how often you can hook up to an external.

Best of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.