First Mac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cooknn, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Made The Switch! Just placed the order for a Dual 2Ghz G5 w/ 1GB RAM. Sticking with current monitor (22" Viewsonic P225fb) until I can afford a good flat screen LCD.

My boys (elementary and middle school) will be glad to see that it's coming with "Zoo Tycoon" and "The Sims" as well as iLife for photo editing, and iSight for chat, etc. :D

Can't wait!

Q: It should come with Panther correct? Ordered from apple.com...

2. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Congrats!

I made the switch last year with a MDD 867 and have never been so happy with a computer!
    I will get a portable (iBook G4 probably) before I get a G5, but it will come sooner or later.

Lucky you, enjoy.

3. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

4. the future macrumors 6502a

Awesome! That's one hell of a machine you're switching to!!

5. candan9019 macrumors regular

You didn't buy the iLife box did you? All that software is included on new macs. It just sounds like you bought it separate. I know people do that all the time not knowing.

6. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Yep. Wonder if I can change my order :rolleyes:

7. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Call them or go to the store and ask. If you have not opened the box you may be able to do it.

If not ... don't open the box. Sell it. :)

8. tace macrumors member

another switcher

So, I did the switch at the Panther event last Friday night. 12" G4 iBook with 640MB RAM and Airport Extreme. It is quite amazing that after using for several days, and installing so much stuff on it, no reboots! Also, the only application that crashed on me was the M$ Office Word. I think I am sticking with the AppleWorks for now. I must say, quite an enjoyable experience. Being a UNIX guy, I thought I would do more command line stuff but, there is no need in most cases. Also, really impressed with how easy it was to get the Digital Camera and iPod working with it.

9. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I'm a Unix guy too :) Spent the last 10 years with AIX among other things. I've always wanted a Mac, just never took the step. Almost bought a bunch of NeXTStep boxes back in the early 90's for a project - but that never happened either. This should be fun - for the boys and me :p

The ex-wife is getting a steal on my (not so) old dual 2.4Ghz Xeon. Easy to make that deal - just take it out of my child support :eek:

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Re: First Mac!

-Cooknn

Jeez, with a Dual2, the game should go so fast the SIMs grow up and die in under a second.

:D

11. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

LOL :D Just trying to keep the kids from going into shock ya know?!