First openly gay Austin school board member criticized for withholding sexuality

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Tomorrow, Nov 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

Not gonna lie, I would not have expected this from Austin.

From KVUE:

One, I don't see where he lied about his sexual orientation; two, I don't see how it matters; and three, of all places in Texas for this to happen, I would never have expected Austin.

2. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I am curious why a priest, who's taken an oath of celibacy would even need to bring up his sexuality in the first place.

Other than that ... git over it Austin.

3. macrumors 68020

He says he left the Roman Catholic church and joined the American catholic church. There are certain sects that allow marriage and the American catholic church may be one of these (I don't know, I was brought up in the RCC).

4. macrumors 6502

I wonder whether Frances Martinez is going to willingly reveal every sexual partner of hers the next time she applies for anything. Let that sink in for an accusation. As if it's their [heteros] right to demand such a thing.

"Parents have the right to know"

Well, parents *should* have the right to know what all the other heterosexual board members are into sexually. I bet there's a couple of kinky S&M practitioners among them. Probably doing stuff even the most hardcore gay men would go '"I'm out!"

Honestly...

5. macrumors 68040

If this person was *asked* about their sexuality and lied about it -- then that's not good and is in fact dishonest. However, if no one ever posed the question then there was never any dishonesty. It's as if homosexuality is similar to a felony conviction that a person needs to disclose on a job application or something. Totally bigoted and I expect this attitude in Texas.

6. AhmedFaisal, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013

7. thread starter macrumors 603

Tomorrow

How very prejudicial of you.

Actually, Austin is a veritable hotbed of liberal politics, which is why I found this story so surprising. But you go ahead and judge us all together now, okay? Because bigoted isn't the same thing as prejudiced. :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 603

thekev

I wouldn't have expected it in Austin. The "betrayal" anecdotes cited by the article seem ridiculous to me. I really don't see it as an issue. He didn't make his sexuality part of his campaign. He seems a bit overly religious from the tone of a lot of the google supplied articles. I'm not sure whether this is an official site, but it details some of his past projects in case anyone is interested.

http://www.jaymemathias.com/teaching.html

9. macrumors 601

Moyank24

The fact that this is happening in Austin is hugely surprising and unexpected - it's probably the most liberal area in Texas. It would be surprising in Houston as well - we even have an openly lesbian Mayor. That's 1 more than NYC has had (not counting Mayor Koch, of course. ;) )

10. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

to me it sounds like the loser is being petty.

11. macrumors 68040

I was judging the state of Texas, not specifically Austin. There are a lot of good things about Texas that I like and I particularly enjoy Austin. However, the fact remains that these attitudes are more frequently associated with states like Texas than others. That's a fact. I hope it changes one day.

12. macrumors 6502

Austin is liberal in comparison to the Texas average. It is not liberal compared to, say, the west coast. No surprises here.