Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxicek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
After struggling on with my aged 8200/120 with OS 8.1 and various incarnations of Windoze, my (new) refurbished 15” PowerBook arrived from The Apple Store UK yesterday. I just though I would share my buying experience, for the benefit of anyone considering buying refurb.

The UK Apple Store is only open from 10am Wednesdays and most of the good stuff goes within 2 hours. If you are looking for a bargain, get there on the dot of 10am. I have been looking for a few months but only really got around to making the commitment to buy last week. I was looking at a new 14” 1.2GHz iBook +SD+BT, but I thought that I would check the refurb store first.

I found a refurbished 1.25Ghz 15” PB with SuperDrive for £1300 – only £50 more than the iBook would have cost me – so decided to go for it and placed my order.

The order lead-time said 8 days plus 3-5 days shipping. I prepared myself for the wait. Two days after I placed the order, I got an e-mail to say it had shipped. It arrived yesterday, a total of 3 working days after I placed the order.

It was shipped in a brown box with “Apple Refurbished” tape on it but, as far as I know, the box contents were identical to a new unit. The brushed aluminium case is immaculate, not a mark on it. The screen also is perfect, no sign of any visual defects / dead pixels. I have powered up, configure mail, internet etc., started to install my software and, so-far (crosses fingers, touches wood), everything is fine.

After using OS 8.1 all these years, OS X 10.3 seems hugely advanced. I feel a bit like in one of those films where the guy goes to sleep for six years and wakes up in a very different future. But as usual with an Apple operating system, everything is intuitive. Just as well really as there is no manual. I keep smiling to myself as I do things in Panther and think "oh yes! – this is why I wanted to buy Apple and not a PC."

Overall I am extremely pleased with my purchase, and would recommend anyone buying from the Refurb Store in the future. Just get there early.

Koree

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2004
Philadelphia
^^ Congrats!

Be happy, and im sure all of the programs will install fine, and thanks for the advice on buy refurb!

Thanks

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Congrats on your purchase. I am hoping to buy a powerbook in the next few months, and I'm also planning to buy a refurb. I'm really pleased to hear yours is in perfect condition as that is my only slight concern.
I'm going to wait until the new iMacs are released just to make sure I wouldn't rather have one of those but I think a laptop is what I'd really like.

PS. Where abouts in Glos are you? I'm in Dursley!!!!

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
Congrats on the PB, I bought a refurb 12" PB from the UK a while ago and it was a nightmare getting them to ship it, dates came and went, they seemed to have no idea where it was and then it just turned up without any shipping warning or anything. So I'm really glad yours came so trouble free, mine was also immaculate apart from a tiny scratch in the plastic trim around the top edge, which is completely unnoticaeable (I was sure something must have been wrong with it so I was going over it with a fine-tooth comb!). They managed to send me rev. a rather than rev. b display adapters which was a bit of a pain as I didn't open then up just saw they were vga and s-video hence I thought the mini-dvi to dvi wasn't included and forked out £15 for something that should have been provided. When I finally realised the other adapters were mini-vga I gave them a call and they shipped out the replacements but I was still £15 out of pocket annoyingly.

The only prob with however a refurb is you miss the fun of opening a nice Apple box :rolleyes:

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Maxicek said:
Cirencester "Capital of the Cotswolds, Roman Corinium"

I went to the Corinium museum on a school trip once. Its OK, but its not quite Rome is it?

My cube was (is) also a refurb when I bought it from Cancom. I think they used to sell all the refurbs on behalf of Apple a few years back. Is that right? Does anyone know if the Apple refurb shop replaced that system? I guess refurbs aren't available anywhere else anymore?

RonnieO

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2004
cancom refurbs...

Maxicek said:
Cancom still do refurbs, but the prices aren't quite as keen at the UK Apple Store. Their notes say that they refurb desktops themselves, but laptops are refurbed by Apple.

http://www.cancomuk.com/products/refurb.lasso

At the moment Cancom do have two kinds of Refurbs..

A) Refurbs done by themselves which come with a 3 month warranty (which you can upgrade to full three years warranty via their own applecare)

B) Refurbs done by Amsis (apples engineers) which come with a full 12 months warranty.

To be honest both are the same kind of quality...although some do get shipped with broken boxes etc....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.