First paycheck of 2013. $50 less.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Charcoalwerks, Jan 15, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I make well under $50,000 a year. I thought the middle class wouldn't see a tax increase? Bunch of liars. Every single one of them.:mad:

2. macrumors 6502

CalWizrd

Your Social Security withholding went up by 2% because the 2% reduction was not renewed.

3. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm pretty sure they said your federal income tax wouldn't go up. I presume it hasn't increased.

You should be able to see this on your payslip.

4. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Lol. You obviously haven't been job-hunting lately. Any new grad (even in a stem field like a BSN degree) would love to have your problem.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Pay roll tax went up. Either way it still sucks. Especially when you live check to check and finally found a way to put a little something aside. Now I have to figure it all out again.

And you're right, it could be a lot worse. It's just a kick in the nuts right now. I'm sure the Obamacare tax in 2014 will make me even happier. Hope I get a raise between now and then.

6. macrumors 68030

bradl

You are placing the blame in the wrong place. Obama was correct in saying that income taxes for the middle class would not increase. Payroll tax is a different thing, and that part lies with Congress, or more specifically, John Boehner and the Reds for holding it hostage during the 'fiscal cliff' negotiations.

In short, write your Republican Congressperson and rip them a new one for not getting this extended. Like right now, with the people's bills, they held the payroll tax for ransom to try to get spending cuts, and that affected your check.

You want it back? write them to bring it back, or better yet, hold their job hostage for their smeg up by voting them the hell out of office.

I'll put this into one simple question, and would love a response.

Which is more important to you: money (greed), or your health?

I await your response.

BL.

7. macrumors 6502a

My check is smaller too.

I'm looking forward to when Obama care kicks in and I will be forced to pay for my insurance making my check even smaller.

8. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I thought that it was only $50k and up also. I think it was an issue with people not fully reading/quoting the articles. Many articles said something like "People that make $50,000 will see a tax increase of $1,000 a year". However the article was simply providing numbers. All people would see an increase due to the 2% social security increase (or removal of the decrease). It wasn't wrong information, it was just interpreted wrong by many people, myself included.

9. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

I almost spit out my coffee this morning when I saw my direct deposit was $475 less this morning. Gonna have to cut back on the luxuries a little and stick to the essentials I guess.

10. macrumors P6

dukebound85

I agree

If they say not tax increase, yet we pay more because of the wording is poor form. We only care about what the end result is....being we pay more taxes

11. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I hope you don't get paid every 2 weeks... or you make a crap ton of money normally. I only got about $50 less per paycheck.

12. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

I get paid twice a month, 15th and 30th. I work in investment banking so I do make a nice living but seeing that much less was still a little bit of a shock.

13. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Such a narrow minded way of looking at this, but not really surprising. This type of mentality is what many on the left have done in recent years in the way they have framed their arguments.

The folks out there earning their money are being vilified in favor of those who aren't. Folks who pay their share get mocked when they aren't automatically overcome with joy about the prospects paying more to government entities who are notoriously wasteful mis-managers of money.

And in terms of your greed vs health question.....my guess is that OP already has his/her own health insurance.

14. macrumors 68030

bradl

You are missing my point. My point is that you need your health before you need money. You have to actually be ALIVE to make your money, so your health should always be more important. The money will come; you only have 1 life.

BL.

15. macrumors G5

yg17

My heart bleeds for you.

16. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

lol. Just keep in mind that the more you make the more you spend.... Just because someone makes alot of money does not mean they are better off financially than someone who makes a lot less.

17. TG1
    macrumors 6502a

TG1

Patrick Ewing, is that you?

18. Guest

What sort of logic is this?

19. macrumors P6

dukebound85

But the ability to be better off is much easier. I have no sympathy for those who can't manage their finances, especially when they have an abundance of it

20. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

Its not a logic it's something thats common place.... I am not saying it's the norm, but it happens to alot of people, especially in this country of excess where people easily mismanage money and live outside their means.

100% agreed, nobody to blame but themselves. I'm just saying it's very common.

21. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you can't manage your money properly you shouldn't be in investment banking.

And it is miles easier being rich and having to cut back on cocktails and your third Ferrari than it is being poor and having to cut back on more important things.

22. Guest

eric/

nursing isn't STEM, and the problem with nursing grads is demographics.

23. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

There's a lot of this going about, it's called balancing the books. You know like paying your credit card bills. Only this is your Uncle Sam doing it. :D

It's not just you in the US, as of 1st January the Tax brackets were changed here too, I now get € 47 less per month, and I can't even blame President Obama.;)

24. Guest

... so it's stupidity? ;)

25. macrumors 65816

My brain exploded reading this. So much wrong...