First Person Shooters? (Intel Compatible)

Discussion in 'Games' started by keithbennis, Jul 5, 2006.

1. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

I'm not quite sure, but I'm hoping this is the appropriate area to ask such questions. So, please don't hate.

I've already looked over the list also of what games work and what don't work with the new Intel machines and under Rosetta and whatnot too... but the gist of it is:

I just recently switched over to Intel Core Duo and prior to that I used to play Wolfenstein Enemy Territory online all the time to kill time, and unfortunately it's pretty choppy when played through Rosetta on here... I was wondering if anyone had any experience with any good FPS games that are based on the real side and not like alien blasters and stuff. Preferably online games as well, but either or that are first person shooters.....?

Or do you think it'd be better if I installed Windows (forgive me) on here through BootCamp and just played Windows based games?

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i had Halo on my MBP for a few weeks-even though it needs to use Rosetta it runs very well

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Call of Duty 2 just came out a few days ago. It looks amazing and I might download the demo soon...

If you want demos:
    www.apple.com/games/demos

4. keithbennis thread starter macrumors regular

keithbennis

Yeah- I got that too... haven't tried it out yet on here though..

5. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Well no alien blasters rules out Doom 3 and Quake 4. COD 2 is the most real that is in Universal Binary. The best game for online play would be UT2K4 IMHO. It may not be that realistic but it is super fun...Plus, you can get mods for WWII or whatever...

If you are going to install windows then Counter Strike is flat out amazing for online play and Half Life and Half Life Episode 1 are both amazing too. (Even though they kinda are futuristic games)

6. keithbennis thread starter macrumors regular

keithbennis

Yeah. I've played UT2k4... it's pretty fun. I'm more into the real-like stuff though... I wanted to install Windows and just use it to play Counterstrike and Day of Defeat... I don't want to buy windows though :/

7. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Call of Duty 2 runs fine on my MacBook (with shared GMA950 graphics) so it'll be great on your iMac with a dedicated GPU.

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I'd still recommend UT04. There are soooo many mods! If you like CS, then there's FragOps, which is essentially CS:Unreal

9. keithbennis thread starter macrumors regular

keithbennis

Yeah... I might just have to buy UT 2k4 and do that patch...

.. any other suggestions?

10. keithbennis thread starter macrumors regular

keithbennis

So I just played Day of Defeat Source on Windows and I must say, I want to install Bootcamp soley for that purpose.. as well as CS:S.

11. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

I would go ahead and load windows. That's what I did. The first game I played was F.E.A.R. I was the best looking game i've ever played, hands down. You'll enjoy gameplay over 100FPS. There are so many games on the windows side, that it's pretty much a must to load Windows if you are a true gamer. Thing is, I'm not really a big gamer, but dabble from time to time.

12. keithbennis thread starter macrumors regular

keithbennis

Yeah I'm not a big gammer either.. but I do like to play to kill time when I'm bored out of my mind. I think Windows it is, strictly for games... I just have to find an inexpensive new copy of WinXP SP2. I've been tryin to look at my school, but I dunno where to look.

13. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Just a tip, since I already bought UT2004 for windows back when it first came out for $40 or $50 or however much, when I got my mac I wasn't going to pay another $35 for it. I downloaded UT2004 for mac and used my PC CD Key, worked like a charm.

My suggestion would be to buy the PC UT2004 for $8 or however much it is on newegg and use the cd key with a downloaded mac version.

Its legal in my opinion.

14. keithbennis thread starter macrumors regular

keithbennis

lol, maybe. Thanks for the suggestion

15. King Wali macrumors newbie

Hey- I installed Steam, and bought some games such as DoD: Source, and CS:s for my Macbook (tottaly upgraded besides the RAM, which is still at base level until tomorrow, when the RAM upgrade comes), but whenever I try to run CS or anything it starts to show the menu, but then the screen just becomes black, and I have to force out.

help?

(This is a Macbook 2.0 ghz)

16. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Any reccomendations for FPS that will run on my mini?

17. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I bought it. Great game.